What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made two more see through crown boards. I utilised some secondary double glazing panel's I have had for a while. re-cycling or wot!!!!

:cuss::cuss:

Sad day for me ... I found a single Varroa mite on my inspection board this morning (albeit a very small one - but I got the eyeglass out and it was definitely a varroa). So ... that's the first I've ever seen since I got the bees last June. Hope that it's not the start of something .. I'm a realist, it was only a matter of time ....

BeeGym not in yet so nothing to do with that.

Moved some nucs overnight to home apiary for the next few week. Hope to have them hived and back at original site but new position for spring build up. All nucs so far have made it through winter and very strong. All have been fed fondant the past couple of months though.

:cuss::cuss:

Sad day for me ... I found a single Varroa mite on my inspection board this morning (albeit a very small one - but I got the eyeglass out and it was definitely a varroa). So ... that's the first I've ever seen since I got the bees last June. Hope that it's not the start of something .. I'm a realist, it was only a matter of time ....

BeeGym not in yet so nothing to do with that.

I can see that your girls are going to be in for a daily workout once their gym arrives ;)

Overnight frost followed by sunny morning - temperatures reached the dizzy heights of 7C.. (The hottest day this year so far was 9C).

All hives flying - a little but often - so fed smallest and weakest nuc more fondant . It's a TBH nuc so a bit of a palaver and bees came out to greet me :)

Rescued one bee from kitchen afterwards..

Dull now in preparation for rain.

I got called to one of my out apiaries this morning. The land owner said that one of the hives had been blown or been turned over by badgers and there were bees and frames scattered everywhere.:sos:
When I got there it was an empty nuc that had fallen of a stone wall and scattered frames out, the bees seen were from other hives.............Phew! Really nice to have people onsite that take an interest and phone if they suspect a problem
Looks like the bees are building up very quickly this year just hope we don't get a cold spell now that checks them.
S

Scouted out a place where I can put my bees, 20 minutes drive from my house (I have to be in the area every Monday anyway).

This lady recently turned her grazing land into a tiny nature reserve and thought it would be nice to have bees there as well, so she sent an open invitation on the local beekeeping forums, and I can't believe I'm the first person to respond in 18 months! It means I've got the whole place to myself (though I'll try to convince a friend to put a hive there, too).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMvLH9VIQRs"]Klarenbeek-bijenstal - YouTube[/ame]

ugcheleuce,

You have been blessed with a wonderful site for your bees!

I have visited Appledoorn and Arnhem a few times and in the summer it is a truly beautiful place. Plus unlike UK one can ride a bike in safety :)

Snuck a peek through the clear crownboard. Nice and warm with the hive active but the winter survivors are spread over only 5 seams so I have some building up to do. Just as well, because I have most of a box full of food and am not minded for some months to shuffle frames.

Protein patties

Made some pollen-less patties up. First time trying these - all 5 boxes at home are on 4 seams so need to build up. Made up in batches: 500g soya flour, 230g dried brewers yeast, 500 g sugar, 100g my honey, 1/2 a multivit tablet crushed, water. Consistency of thick peanut butter but a bit firmer. Rolled out onto greaseproof paper squares and stacked in tupperware tub in fridge.

Put 5 on home boxes to try out, if it goes well will put rest on out apiary boxes next week. Not trying to super start brood rearing just yet, just to keep them going till weather improves as we haven't had a day for as long as I can remember without it chucking it down here.

Checked hives today, the bees are well into the fondant, neopoll on some. Crownboards are warmer than they were a week ago. Happy days!

Odd foray for pollen but still too cold Brrrrrrr

Just as well, because I have most of a box full of food and am not minded for some months to shuffle frames.

Beware early swarming when the queen runs out of space. You can't rely on the bees consuming the stores. You might have to take frames out.
Happened to me one year. Fed too much over winter; no room in the Spring; off they went.

Found a porter escape in the grass, and a mouseguard. Have no idea how they got there.

Then, realised that my very woolly jumper had lots of bees on it and that I had no suit or gloves on.

I waited stock still until they got bored and flew away, then walked very quickly away.

That is what I did at my apiary today.

Found a porter escape in the grass, and a mouseguard. Have no idea how they got there.

Then, realised that my very woolly jumper had lots of bees on it and that I had no suit or gloves on.

I waited stock still until they got bored and flew away, then walked very quickly away.

That is what I did at my apiary today.
:D

Hefted hives.. Placed more fondant on 7.. One hive has eaten 4 kilo in 2 weeks.. All hives are getting very light... Stores getting low

Went and checked the two hives at Kew Gardens and both flying well and heavy (don't think there is any problem with pollen ) the good news is they have a budget for expansion

hives flying yesterday,no pollen going in,some nucs low on stores,fondant going on today.

Latest posts

Back