What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I understand your reasoning.

Here, at least where I live, we try to keep hives higher off the ground because it can be damp. Better air flow beneath the hive keeps it dryer. We don't have anywhere near as much snow as you do.

Thanks. I understand your reasoning.

Here, at least where I live, we try to keep hives higher off the ground because it can be damp. Better air flow beneath the hive keeps it dryer. We don't have anywhere near as much snow as you do.

Now you've done it! ...... best go and buy a shovel

And if the hive is close to the ground, and sitting in snow, cold can't get under the hive...so warmer.

No i wont rise to that one :)

So PeteD's lincolnshire farmers tradition of dropping their keks and plonking their bare a*ses on the ground to see if the soil is fit for planting is a bit misguided then?

So PeteD's lincolnshire farmers tradition of dropping their keks and plonking their bare a*ses on the ground to see if the soil is fit for planting is a bit misguided then?

And the Welsh method of ensuring sheep have a thick enough fleece around their back end to survive the winter sat behind walls by getting up behind them and plunging a measuring stick in.......... is in effective too ?

And the Welsh method of ensuring sheep have a thick enough fleece around their back end to survive the winter sat behind walls by getting up behind them and plunging a measuring stick in.......... is in effective too ?

Only if the stick is long enough - unfortunately got mine caught in a barn door a few years ago.......leaving me with a 10" stump

Had to go back and read some previous posts... mind was boggling...Men's medical wards must have been chilly years back..sheep were safe

Must be the bee keeper silly season coming around.:toetap05:.. go and clean up some frames, you shameless lot..

Last edited:
:winner1st: Association show this evening :winner1st:
Got first and second for my light honeys, third for medium (still a bit runny due to me forgetting to get it out of the warming cabinet until late last night)
First and third for my wax cake, second for my six wax blocks (should have filtered the wax one more time!) SWMBO got second for her cake and in a tie break my flapjacks came second as the judge preferred the coarser oats of the entry that won.
Going to find some laurels to rest on now before my assesment for a foreign assignment job tomorrow (basically I'm applying for a missionary position!)

Well done you put a lot of hard work into it and deserve 1st prize

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats JBM and good luck with the missionary position ;)

OK it was Tuesday, not today but I Hefted the hives, shut down the mouse guards to 2" and propped plywood against the fronts.
Ground temps of -5 are in the 10 day meteo, though the Snow that was forecast looks less or we might miss it all together.

Latest posts

Back