What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's because if they have a sudden urge to surrender (which they do quite often) whilst carrying the honey, the jars won't break when they put their hands up :D

You have to admire the French attitude to a healthy protest and demanding change when aggrieved.

Just been down to the bees to check after the very violent storm last night , looks ok and few branches in the surrounding trees missing . Bees staying put this morning , do not blame them either . Now going to find which tiles on our roof moved at the height of the storm .

On the side discussion about French Military history
Amy, a friend’s daughter that goes to school here , pointed out during a slightly one side history lesson that she thought De Gaulle was in England between 1940 and 1944 , The teacher was most indignant and said De Gaulle was in France during that period leading the resistance . From defeat a victory , or is it the winners version of history . Another school class of future French citizens with a different version of history to the rest of the world .

Just been down to the bees to check after the very violent storm last night , looks ok and few branches in the surrounding trees missing . Bees staying put this morning , do not blame them either . Now going to find which tiles on our roof moved at the height of the storm .

Amy, a friend’s daughter that goes to school here , pointed out during a slightly one side history lesson that she thought De Gaulle was in England between 1940 and 1944 , The teacher was most indignant and said De Gaulle was in France during that period leading the resistance . From defeat a victory , or is it the winners version of history . Another school class of future French citizens with a different version of history to the rest of the world .

Presumably they won at Agincourt too?

the Rugby record between France and Wales is pretty evenly balanced

And they do hold the distinction of being the only country in the championships to have been banned from the then five nations for most of the 1930's and were only allowed back in after the war :D - i thibnk it was due to unsporting behaviour or some such

Still clearing trees here and will be for the rest of today and that's only the ones I have to move now.

Outside front door.

DSC_0001_zps747a855f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]​

Mercifully bees all OK, couple of lids of but that's all.

Chris

busy making wasp traps, moved a weak nuc away as it was under attack there seems to be always some problem to attend to..

Its Not Easy..

Still clearing trees here and will be for the rest of today and that's only the ones I have to move now.

Outside front door.

DSC_0001_zps747a855f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]​

Mercifully bees all OK, couple of lids of but that's all.

Chris

Some nice log hives in that one then ? Just need roofs and floors ...

Oh, in a teacup, nothing to raise the blood pressure.....most of the trees can wait until autumn., saves a lot of work in one sense, the hard bits done.

Chris

Glad everyone is OK then ... I remember the '87 storm over here and it was pretty terrifying when trees start coming down ...

Scared the c**p out of myself proving that bees REALLY don't like vibration. Was pounding on a tree-root about 20ft from the hive and all the fliers decided to go for a lap. I obviously suspected I had caused it but had that bit of doubt that they might be swarming. More conventionally checked that the Red Queen Unseen has room; she is laying well and seems to have settled in nicely. And put in a varroa floor now the temps are a bit lower.

can you measure the dimensions of that cavity and the tree it was in please

The central cavity runs from about 6cm increasing to 12cm and then stopped at about 5 metres from the ground. The tree is bird cherry and had several entrances that have been used at different times by Greater spotted woodpeckers, Starlings and Hornets. It's quite remarkable to see the interior, makes you wonder how much space is beyond those little entrances.

Chris

can you measure the dimensions of that cavity and the tree it was in please

He he! it's sometimes boring being right all the times - I was thinking that the photo would excite you DM :D

Had help in the apiary today, one of our association members (and occasional forumite) asked to come along. Last introduced queen has now been released - no sign of her layning yet, but it's only been a few days. All virgin queens mated and laying - BIAS :hurray:. but the little cast I collected only has drone brood (nice pattern on two sides of a frame) so I'll give it another week to see. The Cardigan hive is bouncing capping stores in all supers and the super I put on last friday is choc a blok with stores as is the BB so only just caught them in time, bearing in mind the balsam is now opening we decided to put another two supers on as this hive is bursting with bees hive now has six supers on, lucky I had help really and lucky my home made 3/4 inch ply roofs are sturdy enough to stand on.

As they have been so well behaved recently decided to give the smoke a miss today as I had a water spray ready to collect some young bees. Soon as I cracked the crown board stung on the hand.
Walked away lit smoker & 2 puffs later the nicest bees you could have, cleared out of the super I took off later, in a couple of hours & totally ignored several thousand people in bright costumes banging drums that marched past less than 20m away!View attachment 8557

Hmm... that's a good idea - think I'll get up a ladder and have a look tomorrow too! On De Gaulle (with the big 'ooter) - I've hear similar from my 14 year old neice too - but she put her teacher right in no uncertain terms! She even pointed out how after a few months the British government only gave him mis-information or no information, as everything he was initially told got straight back to the Germans. This was not down to a double agent - more that the French would go straight out to lunch or dinner and discuss everything over some wine, or leave the maps lying around the hotel...

Only when they are part of a very large power group, on their own they tend to lack bottle.

Chris

I've found the same Chris.

Mainly because honey is sold in 10 kilos, 3 kilos and kilos - that''s very large jars and makes transporting around the markets an even heavier job.

I don't think I've even seen a kilo glass jar for sale, although I do 500gm in glass or plastic and 250gm in glass for the tourists.:icon_204-2:

BTW, honey looks good nicka, well yummy.

Chris

Thanks Chris. The local co-op sells the 500g and 1kg plastics at about €0.50c - so I use them. Path of least resistance. They work very well and mostly don't break if you drop them.

Gosh. You wait months to agree with M.Luck and then do so twice in one day!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back