What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goran i wish :yeahthat::thanks: it would be nice to have your weather so i could wet my appitite and feel bees on my hands here's hoping the temp raises soon

I started today to give foundations, taking built frames off for reserve. Noticeable fresh nectar and pollen but not enough to be satisfied. Some flowers of wild cherry are opening today and good weather predicted for several next days. This will give boost to the colonies and hopefully help them to be ready for acacia - black locust ( usually 8-10th May, but I hope it will come later around 15-20 this year). These I looked today are at 5 frames of brood, a lot weaker than the last year.. That's why I hope the acacia will come later this year..

Topped up feeders: rain forecast.

Went collect a nuke to move it it to another site, being drizzly and only 8 degrees I figured I was in with chance that they wouldn't be flying, but they were, in large numbers. Will simply have to go back at sundown.....
Took a 2nd brood box filled with healthy stores and pollen, from my only dead out this spring, with a view to giving it to my strongest colony as second brood with a view to raising a few queens from it later in the season. The weather was warm enough for flying but I opted out as it just seemed too drizzly and cold to change the floor and expand the brood chamber. Later in the week maybe when we get some sunshine.
Reminded me that patience is a virtue and things don't always go to plan.
se la vie

I started today to give foundations, taking built frames off for reserve. Noticeable fresh nectar and pollen but not enough to be satisfied. Some flowers of wild cherry are opening today and good weather predicted for several next days. This will give boost to the colonies and hopefully help them to be ready for acacia - black locust ( usually 8-10th May, but I hope it will come later around 15-20 this year). These I looked today are at 5 frames of brood, a lot weaker than the last year.. That's why I hope the acacia will come later this year..
The weather certainly has changed for the best for you, Goran. Any chance you could send a bit our way? It's gone from freezing to just cold and wet here :(

Wind, although quite strong, was nice and warm so did the first inspection of the year today.

One drone layer, one slow starter, and one getting going quite well (albeit with bloshie bees).

Having taken advise from a wise sage of this forum I'm going to squish the DLQ later this week and unite with one of the others.

just had my first look in of the year one ok but a bit slow,one doing very well so i put the queen excluder and a super,the last one was a swarm i caught last year they are doing quite well nice pattern of brood and eggs plenty of stores and pollen but what i really liked was how calm almost tame they are i spotted the queen who did not bother to try and hide but was happy to jump on my finger and just sit there till i had a good look at her and popped her back on a frame where she just slowly walked away (fantastic),i will definitely try to split this hive later on

Checked my garden hive for the first time today, double brood so swapped the brood boxes over. BIAS on 9 frames and huge amounts of pollen coming in.
Also cleaned up some Frames that had mouldy pollen in, all ready for when they'll be needed.
Just got to get out and check my out apiary before it starts raining again.

Took advantage of 20c here and had a quick look round.
Mainly all good. Three fine hives.
One DLQ now dispatched, one smaller hive with laying queen ready to be combined with dlq hive.
One beasticle. definately a Roger Patterson "b" hive. Nasty and over prolific. Drones allready. Give it a flow and warmth and it will swarm asap. One to watch and requeen.
Cazza

Went fishing this morning only about 16 miles away (in the cold wind and rain) Came home and it's dry but overcast in the apiary - still 12 degrees though and bees out bringing in the willow pollen.

25 degrees , clear blue sky , cherry trees in full bloom generating a fantastic smell next to the house . Bees working flat out . France at its best .All the bad weather during the week , long gone .

Fab photo cjhart2.

Too windy here to do much, but warm enough to go and gaze at the bees doing their thing.

Took top off both hives, removed fondant and added syrup. Full inspection can wait for a day when it's not blowing branches off trees.

Finished making solar wax melter here's hoping:sunning: also managed to have a very quick look in our three hives.:hairpull:

12 degrees here but blowing a hooley :hairpull:
So - went up to hives to have a look see if any girls were out and about. There were a few brave souls from each hive out flying, looked like they were having a bit of a torrid time landing again in the swirls and eddies from the wind.
I put syrup on to both hives on Fri as the weather forecast was sh1te - and indeed it poured with rain all day yesterday (we were at an auction outdoors in a field for 7 hours , drowned rats doesn't even begin to describe us!) It was still raining this am and with the current wind I'm very glad I did :)
Am really hoping that things might be calm enough to have a quick looksee as to numbers of bees this week - but am resigned to the fact that full inspections are still a way off.

Warm enough today to inspect. Looked at 6 hives. Not too bad. 2 of 4 Jumbo Langstroths were defensive - hardly any stores left and not eating fondant or pattie as fast as I would have hoped. One had a little drone brood. 4 of them 3-4 frames brood in all stages (Jumbo Langstroth). One standard National had 4 frames brood in all stages, other queenless and too small not even 500 bees. I will kill it next week.

Latest posts

Back