What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOT up here in Haute Charente . The blast we got on Tuesday , had the missus doing her Mary Poppins impression trying to hold down the Polytunnel front door . Looked like a drowned rat when i got back to her . Saved the polytunnel though. Looks like we will have to move the 10 miles across the border to get the good weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any spare peaches gratefully received .

Hmmm well I may have spoken too soon, has got progressively more windy/rainy this afternoon, I hope the cherries/peach trees aren't bald by tomorrow :(

swarm preps

well not so much in the apiary, more in the workshop, I thought i'd get ahead with knocking up a few brood boxes, crown boards, roofs and floors. Of course things dont allways go to plan ! but made a good start.

Dave W

Fourteen degrees with us today but with heavy rain showers,all hives going strong in between showers piles of yellow pollen going in.
Made up a bait hive ready for the swarming season and knocked up a few brood frames for a few frame swaps when I get around to the first inspection.

Planted some hops
Not sure if bees like em but gona try and do some home brew
Should help to console me at end of the likely poor season

Burnt 12 commercial frames from a dead out at the assocoation, no trace of eggs or queen and lots of stores, possible Nosema from the frames

looks like the queen went nosemtic

Last edited:
Planted some hops
Not sure if bees like em but gona try and do some home brew
Should help to console me at end of the likely poor season

Hops are wind pollinated but don't let that stop you :D

Bees were out and about today - windy but 12 degrees or so. One hive has many more bees flying than the other, with alot of pollen going in.
We are due for some crappy weather in the next few days - ok on temperatures but forecast is for regular amounts of rain and also windy.
So - I made the decision to add syrup feed to both colonies - they have some fondant that they are still working but, being a newbie and so relieved (thus far) for both colonies to have made it through the winter given they were relatively small - a June/July nuc and a Sept nuc - that I would never forgive myself if they died of starvation now!

10C,windy and dampish with occasional rain. Bees flying bringing in pollen all day..

Syrup on all hives, 0.75:1 5ltr for each. Amazed all hives are still alive some were massive when I opened them up today.

No drones in any though so still no need to look at swarm control yet.

Today 20-21 Celsius, mostly sunny. Large quantities of pollen incoming, also nectar is increasing. So now no need for "additional feeding". Soon will start wild cherry and seems then will be good weather - I keep my fingers crossed.. Today I wasn't opening hives, other obligations, but tomorrow rock'n'roll..

No drones in any though

useful observation.

11c and patchy rain here but all the bees were out and about, a warm day is promised for Sunday to do inspections

21 days since I united 4 hives down to 2 with a Qx between so brood all emerged. So today I put a super over the Qx then a vortex clearer board then the broodless brood box. By tomorrow I will be able to remove the top brood box and the hive will be ready for the better weather that we are assured is due tomorrow.

Just had a quick peek in an overwintered poly nuc, 6 framer.

Only pulled one outer frame, 3" patch of capped brood in the centre surrounded by eggs to the outer edges. The queen happened to be on this frame as well, she looked fat and happy.

The bees however were none too pleased about being disturbed.
I've had a pollen patty for a while which is almost gone, and have now given a feed of 1:1 syrup.

This is the first frame I've pulled this year, and I'm chuffed. Think I'll start on the others tomorrow.

weather

Goran i wish :yeahthat::thanks: it would be nice to have your weather so i could wet my appitite and feel bees on my hands here's hoping the temp raises soon

Last edited:
Starting to put the supers on, (normally mid March), - v.busy bees with plenty around to forage including OSR.

Chris

Earlier it was warm, then the wind and rain came back. I had a peek under the crownboards of about 10 colonies. The nucs are small. :( The hives are small for this time of year. They are all nibbling rather than scoffing Finman's pollen substitute patties - I guess if there aren't loads of bees they can't eat that much. I've given them fondant and pattie to see which they would eat, and they were all favouring the pattie.

Got out this morning and went through all quickly in the nice 15'c and sun. Every hive very calm and busy. The hive with the eggs on the inspection tray has a queen with eggs hanging off her rear! Lots of Drone brood in there and a few worker brood. The nuc with the dead queen outside late last year has, as expected no queen. That one will be combined with a n other tomorrow. The other 10 are super healthy in all respects.....so far. 4-5 frames of brood in most. Only 2 in the wood hive. They are happy. I am happy :) 1 hive with 2 very mouldy frames which I replaced with clean drawn ones. Light rain showers now with wood stove lit:)

Took delivery of 25 plus another 25 BOGOF Alder buckthorn to plant in the field near the apiary. Told OH there were only 10....ooooops!

inspected all hives. most had lots of eggs, a few with capped brood and a couple with grubs. one was queenless so united with a small colonie with a queen... all in all pleased

Latest posts

Back