What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frames frames then I made some more frames and after work today I'll makes some more frames.

farmer told me he had seen a mouse on the landing board,so I had a look yesterday after work.im glad it was on brood and a half with the half below because it destroyed 5 frames but all the brood frames were ok.i cleared the nest and will be using mouse guards at the end of this season.

Stood under the goat willow tree nearby to a hive, what a lovely sound, contented bees collecting pollen, lots of yellow bees covered in pollen entering the hive. The bees were even foraging the dropped catkins where some squawky parakeets had been feeding.

Enrico, that goat willow nearly got the chop 12 years ago. I'd cleared a piece of ground, and it self-seeded, I wanted to remove it, but the owner of the garden said don't bother leave it. What a bit of luck, now I keep bees there and know the value of it.

6C and sunny and temp rising after morning mist.

Checked all hive feeders: little taken in cold weather.

bees out but not in great numbers -collecting pollen and water from pond.

Checked all bee plants in greenhouse...stuffed full.

with 18C forecast Sunday time to start listen for Piping,,,,:bigear:
couldnt hear any piping but very noisy... cling film off the fondant being dragged out

Last edited:
Hives bringing pollen in by the truck load today.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Cleared bees out of two dead colonies (a double brood and the second 14x12 poly nuc to die this winter) Removed mouseguard and entrance block to clear dead bees from a floor to unblock an entrance. Colonies taking orientation flights and bringing in pollen. First sustained activity from them this year as the temperature just hits 10 deg C.

Saw some swallows flying over the hives...not sure whether to be pleased or not!

Planted some autumn raspberry canes at the bottom end of the apiary and four redcurrant bushes in the garden - planted some more 'in the green' snowdrops around the apple trees. still chilly in the shade but warm in the sun with us (the few times the sun came out!) - a lot of bees oirienting around the Welsh black hive, others with moderate traffic. Lots of yellow pollen starting to come in, I happened to see one willow with catkins open - hopefully there's a lot more on the way.

Did a hive inspection with a local newspaper reporter and photographer, went thro the hive and pointed out stuff which they took pics of and pics of the reporter holding frames and stuff.

was good fun, hope the article comes out ok and gets me lots of customers and new members for the BKA.

Latest posts

Back