What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warm enough today to inspect. Looked at 6 hives. Not too bad. 2 of 4 Jumbo Langstroths were defensive - hardly any stores left and not eating fondant or pattie as fast as I would have hoped. One had a little drone brood. 4 of them 3-4 frames brood in all stages (Jumbo Langstroth). One standard National had 4 frames brood in all stages, other queenless and too small not even 500 bees. I will kill it next week.

Very similar to my day,, Warm 20c, sunny with a bit of wind so we inspected the association Apiary which is sheltered first, 7 hives and 2 nukes. Most of the hives were about 3-4 frames of brood ,some had taken the pollen sub others had not, again a 50p size area of drone in a stronger hive on 4 frames of brood and one of the Nuc had small drones (500 bees), that will be dispatched in the next few days

I went on to inspect a further five hives including one of mine in deepest Hertfordshire ( ok the London side of the M25) and that was very different, almost two 14x12 frames full of pollen and 5 frames of brood but that one also had a large surplus pollen going into winter

another 10 to inspect tomorrow if the weather holds

Last edited:
The weather certainly has changed for the best for you, Goran. Any chance you could send a bit our way? It's gone from freezing to just cold and wet here :(

Unfortunately I am not deciding about it, today sunny. Bees are extremely peaceful. Seems good nectar flow is coming, today I checked on spot for foundation I gave yesterday - one third of one foundation built.. Today also checking, changing, shifting, putting foundations. Due to horrible last year and awful cold period during winter I must be satisfied with condition of bees, and hoping for the best for acacia..

Forgot to tell, for the whole next week no rain and temperatures OK.

Went fishing this morning only about 16 miles away (in the cold wind and rain) Came home and it's dry but overcast in the apiary - still 12 degrees though and bees out bringing in the willow pollen.

Catch anything?

I wanted to do my bees but ended up driving six hours to and from a dog rescue centre with SWMBO. Lots of brownie points earned.

Catch anything?

I wanted to do my bees but ended up driving six hours to and from a dog rescue centre with SWMBO. Lots of brownie points earned.

Not a thing - strong squally wind blowing straight up the valley at Shimano felindre meant the fish were very dour, not moving about at all, only three caught on the fishery all day - Good day for Judd Hamblin not for us (sure he won't mind me saying that!)

ended up driving six hours to and from a dog rescue centre with SWMBO

...glad to see you changed your mind and brought her back!

had look in today two part frames of brood plenty of stores sign of play cup or queen cell in the making didnt see any eggs as didnt want to go throu all as seen queen

Squished DLQ and united colony with a q+ one.

Rescued a nuc that had been housing a doomed colony at the end of last year and gave it a good scrub out.

Weather still too unstable for my liking to inspect.
Saturday morning was nice and warm and pretty wind still. Called at one out apiary and confirmed all 5 remaining hives were flying strongly and collecting pollen. Checked that there was some fondant still on each just in case the weather turns.
Removed one Poly hive (deadout) to bee cleaned and serviced.
Went to my beeshed / work shop and cleaned out all the polynucs and th poly hive from the out apiary ready for use.

Saturday afternoon saw some showers.

Sunday, left the house to check all hives were ok as the wind was very strong. Brilliant sunshine when I left but by the time I arrived at the 1st out apiary the rain was blowing sideways!
All hives still upright and I even saw a few bees fighting against the wind to return to the hives.

No more obvious losses at present. Will wait till the weather stabilizes before opening up.

Lovely day 17C but 30 mph wind. bees alll bringing in lots of pollen and orientation flights.

Cut grass around and under hives.

Bees quiet, placid and busy.

Finally got around to a quick inspection - BIAS and queen seen in three (not looking for her, just there she was as I parted two frames).virtually no stores;
The other two hives - no brood in either, but queen seen in one (not the one that was there at the end of last summer, but a new one) - this colony is very weak so I've put them in a nuc and whait a little while to see if the queen starts laying - my guess is they superseded at the end of the season - it was always hit and miss seeing the queen in that one so I was not too concerned last year.
The other broodless hive was quite a bit stronger, but I had no intention of trying to find HM at this time of year so they'll wait a while again.
I'm not really confident of either of these, a pity because one went into the winter (and up until Christmas time) very strong - maybe another case of last year's badly mated queen?

We're not out of the woods yet!

Been a nice day, bees very busy going about their chores, shook out bees from some strong hives to make up nucs, and reinforce a few others.

Bees tremendously busy Yeeees !
Another plus, ( sorry ecologists), balsam seedlings are popping up in their thousands !Hooray :D :D :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

balsam seedlings are popping up in their thousands !Hooray :D :D :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah......I must look in my hedge where there were some last year.

Bees bringing in saddlebags of pollen.
16˚ but very windy. A look in will have to wait.
Planted 50 Alder Buckthorns in to the hedges.

Fondant off and syrup on, Not too sure about bako fondant as it dries up very quickly.... think I will go back to making my own again next year, lots of Dandelion pollen coming in to day, bees are still reluctant to fly in 12 degrees weather

Bees tremendously busy Yeeees !
Another plus, ( sorry ecologists), balsam seedlings are popping up in their thousands !Hooray :D :D :D
VM

My bees busy too but no sign of my HB seeds doing anything, must be doing something wrong or I bought a batch of duff seed.

Regards
CD

sorry to sound thick but do i need to put on syrup even though all three hives seem to have plenty of stores ??

Latest posts

Back