What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(a wasp tried to mooch around for some honey - first time i've felt sorry for a wasp - or bits of one as it is now!)

Never felt that way about any wasp, If they are quick enough they get to fly away.

Moral of the story - even though you may assume by all the evidence you have no queen check all frames before you tell the beginners that a QC on a test frame is a definite positive indication :). The new girl now marked and hopefully the colony will cool down in a few weeks -feel a bit daft meself though

Been there done that and now I have a few t-shirts going spare.. :rolleyes:

topped up the bird feeders.

stang off of a bee on tip of nose. quick in-out but already swelling up nicely and nose running.

weather and wasps making the girls a little tetchy.

Well we started Thymol on Friday, so yesterday decided to go and check everything was ok. Blowing a gale and torrential rain so why we thought it would be a good idea to walk to the allotment across the fields, woods and becks I'm not too sure ?
Anyway, lots of cow poo, rain and wind later we arrived , the hives had not blown away and all seemed ok from the outside, spent five mins securing the Jerusalem Artichokes that had blown over, looked at the Broad Beans all blown over and walked back over the wet and muddy fields back home.
Dogs seemed to enjoy the walk, not sure we achieved much though lol :)

Topped up feeders. Had been going to leave them for a few days but found out I'd been feeding some 1:1 by accident (not much luckily) so decided a thicker mix a good idea. One hive exclusively being re-fed left over stores from last year. Oh and used wonderful multi purpose escape board as a temporary crown board

Just been back up to the allotmnt to check the girls are ok and no branches had come down and got the hives. All ok but very very windy !

Just come in from the garden so windy did my 2nd lot of Apiguard hop[e their ok now, didnt see ant viora dead dont know if there was any in the hive??? It is my first year!!!

topped up the bird feeders.

stang off of a bee on tip of nose. quick in-out but already swelling up nicely and nose running.

weather and wasps making the girls a little tetchy.

Also had a nosey late last evening on a hive in it's second week of A/guard. No sooner had I got down on my haunches to have a peek when I got a zap in the side of the neck. That's one a month now. :eek:

That one on the nose is a killer as both the eyes and nose stream - seems to take days to go down.

BL

agree - had to wait for sneezing fits to stop before i could head off for work. not too much periorbital swelling or running eyes yet.

forgot to add the thymol Rx yesterday won't have helped temper either.

Just went up the garden to make sure all ok after the battering last night and this morning (woke up at 4 worrying about no1 hive which has four supers on at the moment). No need to worry although the bees are a bit thrown by the hive strap over the entrance they're bringing the stores like good uns - pollen balsam and I assume rosebay which is still flowering around here.The wind doesn't seem to bother the fliers but a lot of the bees coming out of the entrance aren't prepared and go tumbling accross the alighting board before taking off!, that one's entrance is facing into the wind at the moment the other two seem fine

Received an email stating that a rather large amount of bees outside one my hives.

I suspected Thymol but went to investigate all the same, found the hives looking normal from the outside.

Decided to lift the crown board on the first hive to have a look down the frames and the little buggers are happily filling the eke with comb, the 2nd hive also filling the eke with comb.

Had the same issue with the bees filling up the eke. I've decided to stop feeding for a week or so and have removed the wild comb. They have enough stores to keep them going till then. Any ideas how to stop them doing this?

sent using tapatalk

The weakest of my colonies (result of a late queen and a united queen-less colony in a National) were taking the syrup down very slowly. There were bees on all frames, four frames of brood and only one full frame plus bits of capped stores.
I transferred them to a MB poly on Saturday and today they are drinking their food down. I guess they must have been a bit cold :(

Spent all day Sunday going round my hives battening down the hatches - hope it's enough it's brewing up a s**t storm out there!!

Just back from a week away working. Mixed another 12 litres of 2:1 syrup to take round later and hope all my hives are still in place!

finally figured it out thanks to Admin :)

This is what we did at the hives today :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekwvHO68L7o[/ame]

Latest posts

Back