What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That St Piran's flag on your shed Gingerbees ?

The 'shed' is a donated wendy house - and its the window you can see. Perfect for emergency garden storage - helps if you are under 5 foot to get through the door.

My bees are working like there's no tomorrow :)
The adverse weather seemingly has no effect on them !
VM

:iagree: Mine were going like the clappers today, the whole of beehive corner just a cloud of bees.

On a different note I was chairing a meeting of the Carmarthenshire Fishermen's Federation this evening and the subject of Balsam came up (a few clubs have had grants to clear it as it's becoming a real problem in some places) and was told 'it's very attractive to a special kind of bee - I've seen them coming out of the flowers, they're practically white' :smilielol5:

Cornwall project

The second Apiguard treatment was empty today, just a few dry crystals in the pot, so I removed it, techically a couple of days early.
The eke was getting quite full of comb and they had begun to store syrup in it so I removed that and replaced the crown board with a feeder over.

The bees are looking healthy and busy, there has been no significant mite drop with the second treatment. Lots of young bees.
There are 3 good frames of brood, 4 good frames of stores and two sheets of foundation being drawn, I moved the undrawn sheet to the front of the colony in the hope of encouraging them.
I didn’t see the queen (wasn’t looking too hard) but the two and a half sides of sealed brood and abundance of young bees would indicate that she's doing OK.
The IVY is now in flower.

My project is taking shape, I am looking at two sites this week which will give me what I need to get set up for next spring.

Just prepared thymol solution as per hive makers recipe .
enough for 5 hives :).
My sums 5x8 thymol=40
5x12 cook'n oil=60 .
Sub total 100.
5x20 doses=100.
I seem to have done something right :)
Oasis pieces are each in separate cut comb containers (with lids. this stuff stinks)
Tomorrow ,remove a couple of supers , then dose the 5 hives ( boards in the floors already )
Avoided fumes by doing the chemistry in the green house with the door open !
Still managed a slight head ache :(
VM
PS .Cut comb containers marked thymol !! for future use . After 3rd treatment will destroy :)

"Avoided fumes by doing the chemistry in the green house with the door open !
Still managed a slight head ache"

i think i must be very insensitive to thymol as all my preps have been in kitchen - didn't even use the extractor.

used kitchen roll rather than oasis for first treatment as didn't have time to allow to soak o/n - just stacked the sheets in a foil oven tray between foil (used as not sure if thymol would damage the plastic of the jumbo feeders above - treatment removed from tray and flipped onto the frames leaving foil between it and feeder).

"Avoided fumes by doing the chemistry in the green house with the door open !
Still managed a slight head ache"

i think i must be very insensitive to thymol as all my preps have been in kitchen - didn't even use the extractor.

used kitchen roll rather than oasis for first treatment as didn't have time to allow to soak o/n - just stacked the sheets in a foil oven tray between foil (used as not sure if thymol would damage the plastic of the jumbo feeders above - treatment removed from tray and flipped onto the frames leaving foil between it and feeder).
Last year whilst weighing thymol for anti mould agent in syrup ,I used the tray come lid of my electronic scale! it dulled the surface and still smells strongly of thymol ,many washes and 12 months aeration :).
This time I've used a barrier ;)
VM

i just weigh directly into the pot that the initial mix will be made in.

Last year whilst weighing thymol for anti mould agent in syrup ,I used the tray come lid of my electronic scale! it dulled the surface and still smells strongly of thymol ,many washes and 12 months aeration :).
This time I've used a barrier ;)
VM

Today - nothing myself.

received a top up supply of thymol crystals (see a previous post).

got aged parent to paint inside of a couple of MB poly feeders - as well as a handy spare pot of suitable paint he also had a bag of sand in the shed to roughen the bee surface.

Apiary No1 (Home) Checked feeders, going well.

Apiary No2 -
Colony 1 14x 12 full of brood and stores, approx 75% of space available on one frame then brood box completely full, thinking of putting a super on to make room. will make up my mind in next few days.

Colony 2, Brood box (14x12) full 6 frames of capped brood no space for laying, super full, Drawn comb in roof above crown board. Added another super!!!

Apiary No3 - needs feeding, starting later this week

Apiary No4 - needs feeding, starting later this week

All colonies in all apiaries had the honey removed at the same time, but colony 2 in apiary 2 had a new super given to them four weeks ago because of the strength of the colony. Both colonies in this apiary originated from a four frame back in March of this year and I have taken five supers of honey from them.

Changed brood box, floor & stand on one (in need of some Cuprinol!), fed four colonies. Started off five gallons of sloe wine. ;)

Back