What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy, 1st November !!!

17 degrees yesterday not a breadth of wind, ivy open Bees going crazy foraging. Will give them a great winter boost.
Today to be the same .... when dense fog lifts.

Mouse guards on, warm here yesterday too. Bees flying like it was a mid summer's day. Sat & watched for an hour or so, brillant to see!

Frosts continued more seriously, will be -4C in the morning.. Ice decorations in the morning.. Yesterday I gave back some ( colonies) - some ( honey). The pic is made with mobile phone, not some beauty..

Attachments

• honey.jpg
    honey.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
They are mainly beneath the stores, also I smoked some to place on top honey. This one is on 6 seams of bees, young queen. Late noticed that central arches aren't as I think are not satisfiing ( maybe bees think other way). So as it is too late for syrup or fondant I gave honey. This way I want to spare winter bees of converting sugar into " honey" and to faster they fill "weak" arches. The picture I attached now is older one - just to show what I saw as a problem. Marked places are weak with stores in the hive where I added honey.
The cluster is mainly in upper box, with lower part hanging in second box. When I do trickling with OA in winter, sometimes I don't see all occupied seams as they are deeper.. Now if I see a lot bees on top bars, that is thing to worry at my place ( nights with frosts, day temps around 10-14 celsius). Some ex beek once told me that his colonies are so strong that almost can't see top bars of bees ( it turned out to they starved in winter, they were low with stores and broke the honey arches and end up on top bars).
This winter will be interesting for me, some operations I prolongued, done lately. I am so curious how bees will develope in spring, only good thing is that I reared some queens this year and majority are young ones now.
There is always something to learn, as is said at my place " I know that I know nothing"..

Regards.

Attachments

• autumn frame.JPG
    autumn frame.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 67
Today at one apiary site one hive was robbed. Queen was present with seam or two of bees, only sealed brood palm size on one frame and little pollen. Real rip off. I shake out and retired a queen. This is first real robbing for me to experience..
A week ago it was suspicious for me - it had only 3-4 seams of bees and enough stores and I said during a week when is warmer will merge with other neighbouring hive. But due to my job could not get free at daytime..
My current job has negative impact on my beekeeping..

Warm Dry and windy today.
Cut branches off overhanging tree and strimmed the apiary. Bagged and stacked unused supers and tied them down. Bagged up old brood frames for melting the wax and boiling the frames. Moved a NUC box into a WBC style outer to provide extra protection from the elements. The apiary looks clean and tidy.

Last edited:
Stood for about 10 minutes watching the landing boards ... nearly 16 degrees at 9.15am this morning although it was very breezy. Lots of activity with bees bringing in buckets of bright orangey/yellow pollen - I suspect it's Ivy but it's not from my garden as that's all finished now. All hives now feeling quite heavy.

Had a look through the clear crownboards when I got in from work at midnight and lots of activity in the hives .. nice hum from all of them and it's still 14 degrees outside so they are making the most of it. All looking good for winter now ...

Being a newbie I would never have thought bees would still be actively flying at this time of year

It's one of the joys of beekeeping .. you are constantly surprised at what bees will do .. the more astute people on here will tell you that beekeeping 'by the book' rarely works. There are so many factors that will influence how the bees behave that you can rarely, if ever, set your diary by them.

It's been a poor year for forage in some areas, the weather (at least where I live) is incredibly mild for November and the Ivy (and some other late summer/autumn plants) are still in bloom - very late compared to previous years. If you think about it - the bees have the motivation and the conditions to continue foraging - and that's what they will do.

I've just been round to look at mine and despite it being very windy this morning they are out and about again .. only 13 degrees at the moment but at least it's dry.

I've read that if you take a cutting of flowering ivy and root it then it'll flower next year - unlike planting ivy and waiting 15 years til it decides it's ready to flower.

Not tried it yet but I think I should!

LB,

Pargyle is spot on. I have seen bees taking in pollen at Christmas and flying strongly by Valentine's day.

I saw, just this morning, blackberry blossom at the back of my house! The first decade of this centurty were noticeably getting warmer with shorter, warmer winters. Perhaps not sustained these last five years, mainly due to some miserable spring weather (once following a very warm period in early spring) and this last summer?

So unpredictable that beekeeping by dates is only for the non-thinking beeks.

Latest posts

Back