What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a look at the swarm hived on Thursday.......lots of pollen going in.
Yesterday was cloudy and cold so I gave them a pint of weak syrup. They haven't touched it so I will remove it tonight. Plan an inspection of all the boxes tomorrow a day early so I can get away into the hills on Friday to escape the tele and the papers.....bah humbug!!!!

Why an MOT is crucial for stress-free Apiary visits.

In no particular order of stress factor

1. Went to out-Apiary to specifically perform SS on two colonies.
2. Spent ages assembling the entire complement of new/sterilized kit. The full caboodle (minus the key items I subsequently forgot.
3. My Bee-mobile (a veritable junkshop of allotment/gardening/strimming/beekeeping) is out of action. Appropriated Mrs Bloggs baby (an Astra) which ranks slightly below daughter and the cats in our household (see now where this is heading can't you?)
4. Failed to see significance of implied menace/threat in "" you are doing what with my car..." to the extent I forgot to take the plastic drip trays - the main selling point of which is that they are supposed to avoid the potential for domestic arguments?
5. Continued to discover items on "forgotten" list. No plastic bucket for washing anything? No receptacle for comb especially loads of fresh natural comb filled with fresh runny honey. No clean rags. Managed to remembered huge bag of smoker material and smoker - but not one of the 10 lighters I own (me a non-smoker!) and not one single match? Proceed with no smoker.
6. Hive 1 - no evidence of Q. Change of plan which was sole reason for attending.
7. SS on Hive 2. All going swell considering. Nearly finishing and self congrats on job well done. Steps back and wonder why loads of bees under Thxxxes budget OMF. Realise that I have put the floor in upside down.
8. Invent one/two new derogatory terms for self whilst taking it all apart and reassemble. Surprisingly bees not happy and me with no smoker:blush5: Take sting to neck through suit (Mrs Bloggs later likens me to "Oddjob" aka the top-hat chucker of James Bond fame with no neck ).
9. Get mobile call 30 seconds after sting. Answer (as well as one can through a sherrif suit) with preemptive Basil Fawlty rant ie " Yes.... I have not forgotten I am getting potatoes on way home...." Mrs Bloggs does her trademark silence such that you don't know if its an actual "silence " or if the call has cut off?
"Speak then......!! " I really rant at phone through veil ? A chappies stammering response suggests that it is not Mrs Bloggs after all. It is in fact a client prospectively offering me work!! Prospective in that he misses the opportunity to phone back later as he stated he would "as I appeared a little busy" . Some you lose?
9B. Talking of losing, all three of the plastic drop in feeder trays I lovingly washed have hair line cracks making them useless. Note to self to check if this is a design thing as they seem very flimsy and maybe do not like being stacked.
9C. Switch to frame feeder which I have not used before (told you I bought the full caboodle ?) and have specifically cut an "anti-drowning" wood insert. Only I cut it too perfect and it subsequently jams AFTER I fill the thing with syrup. Nowhere in the two tool bags I have brimming with fit-for-purpose tools is anything suitable for freeing a jammed thingy in a feeder. In my bee-mobile I have at least 20 brand new coat hangers rescued from recycle point on the usual basis "they would come in handy one day?"
10. Get text 5 minutes later reminding me about the potatoes. Suspect it might not be the client this time. Can't see display on phone as it is covered with sticky goo (no hand washing see !)
11. Realise that the potatoes are constituents of the our roast Dinner I deduce that I am well late. I abandon usual structured withdrawal and chuck it all in Astra, and as a smaller space than my car, "ram" would be a more accurate verb . Oh how I love/miss my beemobile. I promise never to call it derogatory names ever again.
12. Race down lane from apiary. Realise I have left rear parcel shelf in bushes.
13. Lane is dog walkers paradise so normally I check thoroughly for "booby traps" Guess what? Having changed into my best shoes (suitable for Salisbury shopping) I tread in the only lump of pooch doo-doo in east surrey. But it is a wacker! Thank the heavens for Halxxxds car mats and rapidly dispose of this one. Feel guilty considering it has just saved my life.
14. Can do babies nappies but not that stuff without face mask :puke:so parade around supermarket in White bee Wellies. Get admiring glances? Those are admiring aren't they?
15. Serious late now and manage to get stuck in traffic behind the captain of the England Self abuse team who obviously knows where I live and drives the entire journey at 15 mph with me praying that at any moment he will turn off? He is actually visiting one of my neighbours. Start to get paranoia pangs now?

So having spent a relaxing afternoon "playing" with Bees, I return home to check the date/strength on my stress pills and rip the top off a beer with my teeth.

Not for the first time I ask myself Why do I do this hobby ?
Probably the same reason I used to spend three days fishing, catch sweet FA - but still look forward to going again?

Lesson learned? Do not tempt fate again. Get the Bee-mobile MOt'd first.

FB

Apologies for the chatterbox spiel but that has proved cathartic!!

I meant to add.......
With no rain for so long I thought that the nectar might be drying up.
It's still very green here though.
This morning I picked a sycamore flower and glistening at the base of every flower was a pearl of nectar....sweet........I hope none of the neighbours saw me eating it :blush5::blush5::blush5:
I suppose trees are OK and it would take a huge drought to affect them but I wonder about the flowers........Lots of bluebells here at the moment.

Oh, and well done Fred, that was soooooooo funny. Hope you are OK.

I suppose trees are OK and it would take a huge drought to affect them but I wonder about the flowers........Lots of bluebells here at the moment.

I reckon you're right. My girls are ignoring lovely dandelions, Alliums and other treats in favour of the holly bush, which is in full flower at the moment and presumably has some nectar to offer them. I'm curious about what holly honey would be like!

Just checked the split colonies from my previously-best colony (which seriously lost its temper earlier in the month). They're doing brilliantly! And very calm. I didn't need gloves or much smoke at all. And I saw one of the new queens - she looks a real beauty and has been laying like crazy. Is there anything more satisfying than a nice, new colony with a shiny new Q getting stuck into building their new home?!

Only thing is, the "parent" colony of the two splits is still very full. I can't believe just how fast they've built up again. They're starting to build more Q cells already - little minxes. I swapped out some of the groaning nectar-filled bb frames for new ones with just starter-strips, to open up the brood a bit, but I have a feeling it's splitsville again sometime in the near future.

Fredbloggs, thanks for sharing, that was just what I needed! Memo to self - don't drink tea while reading fredbloggs post - guffawing with laughter makes a mess of the keyboard. :)

Fredbloggs definitely needs a stress buster or he will be going the way of a heart attack! I collected my first swarm this morning much to the annoyance of husband and daughter because I am not supposed to be doing much at mo because of HA on 16th April. However it was enjoyable and pretty sure they were mine in the neighbours garden. Got them into the hive with a nuc that our chairman Jonathan had done yesterday by splitting both of my colonies - liberally dusted with icing sugar (freshly ground) and hope they merge and stay. Didn't have the energy to find the queen but pretty sure she was there with all the fanning going on. I have given them a new home and a fighting chance so if the little buggers decide to hop it they can and I can't d anything about it.
Louise

Had an interesting session.

Found (not to my surprise) that the next in line nuc to be sold had got fed up of waiting and had produced cells on the basis that if there was no more room to be had they were off to find it. Hived them to give them something to think about and will check in a couple of days to see if the doubling of the accommodation has changed their minds.

Then it got a bit interesting.

Hive on double brood was busy back filling brood combs with pollen and nectar. Handsome big queen evident, yet no cells and still some eggs being laid.

Hive on double brood was heading for swarming. Cells galore and slabs of solid brood. So took off four nucs including queen, did A/S and then thought, hang on....

Excellent queen about to swarm with massive colony, and rubbish colony with failing queen, unite. So the good queen is going into the failing colony and the rubbish one is parked in a nuc to keep it ticking over until I produce some queens.

Everything else was neat and tidy working away fine.

Bees were very quiet on the combs, sun was shining but only 16C, and not a sting in two hours of what was at times quite intensive beekeeping.

Two nucs left to go...

PH

Fredbloggs that was hilarious, thanks for sharing!

My neighbour reports that a cast left my hive and took off up the road today.

Boo hoo.

Did a split from the KTBH into the Tanzanian TBH (first one) Completed the split from Nat into 14x12 Strapped a bait hive to a tree, hope springs eternal! Altogether a rewarding afternoon.:D

Put a second super on the hive we split 10 days ago, can't believe how many bees are in it, the photos look like it did at the end of March. Split has nice capped QC's, as does the nuc. Fingers crossed everything looking good.

I dont mind admitting I've been seriously caught out by one of my colonies this year.

I knew they were expanding quickly but I just wasn't prepared for how quickly.
Back in mid March I opened them up quickly to have a look inside and found 4 frames (14x12) with a large ovals of sealed brood covering about 2/3rds of the frame but a little light on stores but I could see plenty of wet stores on the end frames so left them to it for another couple of weeks before adding a super. Just over a week later I gave them another super as the first was fully drawn out and was about half full.

Yesterday I opened them up after seeing the entrance block which I had partly pulled out (see pic) from one side was literally covered in bees. 7 frames (14x12) contain sealed brood and another has been almost fully laid up.

The queen must be some sort of monster egg laying machine compared to her first year.

So this is the current state of this colony.

P1020983a.jpg

Super4 (full)
Super3 (new)
Super2 (full)
Super1 (new)
Queen excluder
New 14x12 chamber
Original 14x12 chamber

I've checker boarded each new chamber (alternate new frame, filled frame)
as the OSR is still to runny to take off. Will be interesting to see what this queen can do....

Last edited:
Hived a swarm yesterday. Did I mention it was big :)

Laughed loudly at my other half...he decided, without asking me...to help. First I had to take 6 frames apart and shoiw him how to put them together properly...then at tea-time he proudly announced he had made me sugar syrup (using my only sugar). What he has made is a wonderful caramel sauce I can use on Sunday - but I'll have to buy sugar for the new girls somewhere tomorrow!

Back