What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should give syrup if you are worried that the colony may not have enough stores. Interesting that they are throwing our sugar granules. Never seen that.

Hehe

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals

Young Spring bees cleaning up cells so the queen can lay in them, especially in a nuc where limited laying space is critical as the colony expands. When I inspected a few frames on first inspection I noticed some of the cells had tiny lumps of what looked like granulated sugar / honey in them.

Got a phonecall from my father a little earlier to tell me a tree had fallen on one of my hives in an out apiary..... Thought I was going to have to take a half day off work when he explained that it was the top of the tree that had dropped onto the hive. Looks like we have got our stand and roof construction right as there doesn't appear to be any damage to them. The large "Haribo" sweet box I had fondant in was squashed so that acted as a crumple zone. Bees all happy and flying in and out of the hive around the branches.
Had another Nuc fail since 6th April despite them having stores and having been foraging for pollen at that time. Queen was the only bee left alive in the box: apparently she was up beside some fondant and looked as if she had been feeding herself.

Woo hoo finally managed to have a look at the hives without the CB :winner1st:
The sun has been out all day and the wind is alot lighter, plus it has moved to coming from th west which then makes my hives in a bit of a calmer spot. However I didn't do a full inspection, still a bit on the nippy side.
Lots of bees out flying from one hive, with alot of pollen being brought back in - this has always been the stronger, it was a nuc at the end of June. They have syrup and some fondant in a super above the CB which they seem to be working.There are approx 6 seams of bees, with comb on 10 frames.

The other hive (nuc in mid Sept) is alot smaller. It still has bees out flying, bringing in pollen, but the numbers are loads less than the other colony. Again they are still working the fondant from the super above the CB, but don't seem to have gone for the syrup from the rapid feeder. It looks like there might be 3ish seams of bees, with comb on 6 frames. This colony does have a dummy board in to close down the BB to 8 frames. I applied some BeeVital to this colony as there has been visible mite drop on the VB.

So - very happy to have finally got to see the state of play in the BBs, though a full inspection is still to come!

Sitting here waiting for bees to stop flying so I can block them in ready for moving them to my apiary on the morning.

Checked in my bees at 530 loads of traffic and they were bringing in yellow pollen, so much for the pollen patties I put on Tuesday

Unsure pollen colour isn't my strongest point yet, the apiary is just on town limits so lots of residential properties in reach too. However, my mentor said no need for poly patties the pussy willow is out.

First hive inspection of the year this afternoon. 14C and sunny in Bristol.

Marked Queen seen, along with 8 sides of brood!

BIPcChACEAA0buo.jpg

Fantastic to see the hive in good shape after last year and this winter!

Today requeened a pig of a colony.

They were aggressive at the best of times- but nobody stings me in the face when I was innocently standing nearby ...and gets forgiven!!! :nono:

She was a great queen for laying- textbook... I took her out and stuck her in a queenless little colony to boost it for a couple of weeks. Then when I get the first decent queen cell from a good hive- she is history..and the little colony will be improved too.
Got an Italian queen (no locals available) for the pig hive so hopefully in 6 weeks they will be good.

Checked the rest- all now in lay- so just topped up syrup 1:1 and closed up to let them proceed undisturbed for a while.

Latest posts

Back