What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of it as we have a lot of excess honey in jars which we haven't sold and has gone rock hard. But I wanted advice first

I was thinking of it as we have a lot of excess honey in jars which we haven't sold and has gone rock hard. But I wanted advice first
If you think they need feeding then put it in a takeaway container above the feeder hole in the crownboard and give it to them like you would fondant ... can't do any harm in any case ... it's their honey !

I think this question has been asked before, is it OK to feed the bees their honey back to them without diluting? if not what's the reason?
Yes
But by diluting it you are saving them the work of going out and finding water as they need it to assimilate the honey

Thank you! Unfortunately copper was too expensive, so I cheated and painted them in copper effect metallic paint. :giggle:

Andrew.
Nice option but I was surprised that the cost of a copper roof for a WBC is only £13.80 extra!

I’ve just poked into a few nucs…….wooden nucs have started laying with eggs and very young larvae The polys have not started laying yet and as last year I’d expect them to start a week or 2 behind the wooden nucs. A single brood colony in wood had a small patch of sealed brood each side of a single frame with a small patch of eggs on the adjacent frame. Sealed brood was about 3-4 inches in diameter. I popped the lid on 1 cell to expose a young white pupae giving an idea when larger boxes may have started for this spot at least.

First fondant check this month - and one of the hives had emptied the container completely, mcuh to my surprise as there seemed to be plenty left eight days ago. Mad dash home to cut off a chunk from my 12kg block, dump it into the container and let 'em have it.

Lots of bees collecting water from my various rainwater tanks today. Even had one fly around me a few times and then land on me to see if she could find anything useful. Apparently not :)

James

Used the 15deg in the sun to check out the hives within reach of OSR. All still hefting well but one I opened was stuffed with bees and brood so I guess a lot of that weight is not stores!

I know some people say not to inspect until it's comfortable being outdoors in shirtsleeves, but it really wasn't that far off it here when the Sun was shining this afternoon.

James

Back