What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, pollen laden bees in droves today after several weeks of horrible weather & nothing seemed to be flowering. Our big willow has still not opened up its catkins - it’s several weeks behind where it was this time last year but a newly acquired pink willow tree was being worked.
Also a few bees with yellow dusted heads & thorax.

Attachments

• 127F2FC8-F2F9-4771-BF0C-7B0E8A8A3712.jpeg
    127F2FC8-F2F9-4771-BF0C-7B0E8A8A3712.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 0
Hefted my five hives: all heavy but because T=16C I removed the crown boards and checked the outside frames of the top boxes all of which showed capped stores. Bees busy and bringing in pollen. Hives were last fed in early September.
It was my first chance to test my Easy See: a kit with a clear plastic panel which you insert into the veil - brought back from a recent beekeeping convention in the US by @SteveG . Worked well but I'll have to wait until I examine brood frames to judge its true worth.
theeasysee.com

View attachment 35254View attachment 35255
I just wonder whether on a chilly day you will get condensation from your breath on the clear plastic window.

My husband designed little feeders for the honey, worked a treat, cleared in an afternoon!!
🐝🐝🐝🐝

Attachments

• 20230220_122046.jpg
    20230220_122046.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230220_122509.jpg
    20230220_122509.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230220_122522.jpg
    20230220_122522.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230220_123958.jpg
    20230220_123958.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Checked fondants, confident they wouldn‘t be needing any, as last 1kg tubs put on 8 days ago.
H1 - about a third of the way through it
H2 - every trace of it gone and bees drumming their feet on the side of the empty tub!
Hastily filled another and let them have it. I’ll need to keep an eye on this lot…..

Plenty of pollen going into both hives today. My neighbour told me they were all over his three viburnums.

Sunny, 14degC here. Checked super on top of a couple of colonies. Barely touched. Brood nest starting to move up into super. No need for fondant.
Now got a better idea how much more weight drop is 'safe'.

Checked fondants, confident they wouldn‘t be needing any, as last 1kg tubs put on 8 days ago.
H1 - about a third of the way through it
H2 - every trace of it gone and bees drumming their feet on the side of the empty tub!
Hastily filled another and let them have it. I’ll need to keep an eye on this lot…..

Plenty of pollen going into both hives today. My neighbour told me they were all over his three viburnums.
Made me smile, did they forgive you?

Made me smile, did they forgive you?
When I removed the empty tub, a few wandered about deciding whether to have a go, but it was a bit too cold for heroics so they disappeared down the feeding hole and were quickly sealed inside.

First calm day in a while today. Checked all hives for stores gave one kilo of fondant. All had active bees inside although none flying. Gorse is flowering 1km away so some forage beginning to become available. Mildly surprised to find no dead-outs as I thought one had gone when I did a mite treatment in December.(famous last words, fingers crossed etc)

Weather is starting to change.. Till now bees had some decent weather which they exploit, in addition to others I mentioned before, they started to visit goat willow. Today was some 13-15C, on Sunday they say will be 2C day temp and some snow..
Yesterday checked fondants and added to ones who needed..
Saw first violets in bloom yesterday..

Rusty orange? Gorse, lot's of it going in today. I filled the back of the truck with timber and then sat and had a pleasant few minutes, close your eyes and just listen to the contented hum.
Timeless I would say

Latest posts

Back