What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been a week since first inspection so checked both hives yesterday. One of them has 6 frames of brood in all stages (literally no space on these frames) so added space for these under the brood box. There is a good amount of pollen and some nectar as well. On the second hive there are still 3 frames of brood but these are now full of brood as opposed to a week ago when it was more like an egg shape brood pattern, but lot larger, in the middle of the 3 frames. Stores and pollen also present.
Why did give space underneath vs above? Do you switch boxes around later when queen moves down to lay?

Why did give space underneath vs above? Do you switch boxes around later when queen moves down to lay?
I thought I might do the same as our boxes at congested with stores but we replaced a few with foundation and put a super on, hopefully we have done the right thing

What a cheek in a box full of bees, god knows the damage he would have done!!!
I was a bit surprised ... either the bees have too much space to defend, the colony is small and weak, or that wax moth larvae has been feeding on the hive floor on cappings and they have ignored it ... a strong healthy colony will normally deal with any wax moth invasion and you will not see developed larvae of this size alive in the colony .. and indeed visible on the frames. I'd be keeping a close eye on what's going on here. I hate wax moth and they really are a problem down here in the South where the warmer climate and lack of winter frosts of any real nature actually favours them. I am very careful with my anti-wax moth precautions in my stored frames ... and space in occupied hives that matches the colony size.

I was a bit surprised ... either the bees have too much space to defend, the colony is small and weak, or that wax moth larvae has been feeding on the hive floor on cappings and they have ignored it ... a strong healthy colony will normally deal with any wax moth invasion and you will not see developed larvae of this size alive in the colony .. and indeed visible on the frames. I'd be keeping a close eye on what's going on here. I hate wax moth and they really are a problem down here in the South where the warmer climate and lack of winter frosts of any real nature actually favours them. I am very careful with my anti-wax moth precautions in my stored frames ... and space in occupied hives that matches the colony size.
I agree we had a bit on one of our stored frames as well, we'll definitely be treating the frames before next winter

Did my first inspection of the year yesterday. Spotted two Queens, both laying beautifully, with 7+ frames of brood and plenty of nectar and pollen coming in. Nuc queen also laying well and given a super of extra space to keep them occupied for a while (don't have a second brood that fits this poly nuc). However, I was surprised to find that my third hive seems to be dwindling. It was a swarm from last year and had been incredibly productive and full of bees by last autumn. They've appeared to be as active as the other hives over the last couple of months but on opening up I only found a small population. There are eggs, larvae and there is sealed worker brood (although a little patchy) and no drone brood, but the brood only covers around 3 frames and there are barely enough bees to cover it. Despite few bees I couldn't find the queen at all. There were some cells with multiple eggs but I'm pretty sure there's still a queen in there even if she's not lying so well and being elusive. I'll have to see what they're like next weekend.

Still not gone in fully. Just checked for weight. Did lift the crown board on a couple. And moved a couple of empty frames from the outside to the edge of the brood.
It looks like I'll need to remove some frames of stores after the next bout of predicted cool weather.

Had a quick butchers in my remaining hive to assess stores as my other failed colony was quite low. I needn’t have worried.

Got around to quickly inspect the last apiary, 1 failed out of 10 hives with the remaining bees shaken out to booster a nuc next to it.
2 hives overwintered on brood and a half were bursting with bees, super full of fresh nectar and a few capped frames. Added a 2nd super and another BB on one hive which had 7 frames of brood.

Took delivery of the new bee shed - then started filling it. The shed has vent gaps beneath the roof for a free flow of air and Gavin (the shed builder) was concerned that the bees might get in and be a nuisance - When tidying the other shed I asked myself why have I kept all these three and four inch offcuts of woven mesh from all the OMFs I've made over the years. this evening I discovered the four inch wide pieces, cut in half fit perfectly over the front gap with enough extra meat to staple into the frame below, and the three inch pieces could have been custom made for the back wall.
Once all the honey is shifted into the shed, then all the other unmade frames, flatpacked boxes, foundation etc, I'll have room to make some more floors and top up my hoard of mesh offcuts once again!!

Took delivery of the new bee shed - then started filling it. The shed has vent gaps beneath the roof for a free flow of air and Gavin (the shed builder) was concerned that the bees might get in and be a nuisance - When tidying the other shed I asked myself why have I kept all these three and four inch offcuts of woven mesh from all the OMFs I've made over the years. this evening I discovered the four inch wide pieces, cut in half fit perfectly over the front gap with enough extra meat to staple into the frame below, and the three inch pieces could have been custom made for the back wall.
Once all the honey is shifted into the shed, then all the other unmade frames, flatpacked boxes, foundation etc, I'll have room to make some more floors and top up my hoard of mesh offcuts once again!!
That's exciting a new bee shed, could we see a picture?

Added box under as we will have a few coldish days this week. This us just a contingency if they run out if space between two weekly inspections. The next step will be depending on next weeks inspection and weather forecast.

Inspected both hives, Queen right and Lots of BIAS. Supers added as they are drawing comb and filling space every where.
1st hive. Nadir left in place to make Brood and half. 6 frames of brood. No drone or play cups.
9 covered frames of bees and the half looks similar. So super placed on as there is a bit of a flow.
2nd hive. Small colony on 14x12… 5 frames of brood.. drawing comb but in the wrong spaces.. as all the brood was over one side of the hive..
So moved the frames to the centre .. do slugs suggest there is damp or a cold spot??
placed a super on as they seem well enough to expand..

That's exciting a new bee shed, could we see a picture?
It's just going to be a stores for honey, wax and equipment, racking arrives today, this evening I'll be moving stuff out of the workshop into it so I'll then have room to get cracking on new floors etc.
fb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpg

Don’t you just feel wonderfully vindicated when you actually use something you hung on to “as it might be useful” ?
Nice one👍

Latest posts

Back