What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
admin - any chance that any members have signed up via an IP address registered to Lichfield RSPCA?

If it is a reference to me the name might be a clue.

I do however find it strange that a group who get up in arms about bees being treated badly should make/allow such comments as that just made by Silly Bee.

The bee inspector who talked to us last week said he found a neglected hive with an entombed mouse, wrapped in propolis. Probably the mouse would opt for the cat :rolleyes:

He also said people rear :eek: wax moth as fishing bait. Is that true? Maybe we could start a beekeeper-fishermen war, like the paddler-fishermen war that constantly rages on the canoe forum I subscribe to? Sometimes it gets a bit too peaceful over here :biggrinjester:

Anyway
Damp and drizzly yesterday - a bit like today but quite a few bees pottering around.
Went and collected my nice new shiny hive and nuc roof covers from lady B's cousin (only cost me a few pints and I had to threaten to fight him before he accepted that!) so now a bit of a quandary - have a nice collection of five national sized trays and four nuc awaiting fixing onto the same quantity of wooden roofs neatly stacked outside the chamber of secrets - they were free, so no need to make excuses to SWMBO - but how am I going to explain away the five hives and four nucs they are going to be fixed to?:D

Moving on from the cats..... Not strictly in the apiary,but visited maismores apiaries yesterday and had a look round there shop very helpfull, escaped with some new gloves. Today I am off to work in pinewood so might swing by the big T in windsor, only ever bought stuff online before so great to look before purchasing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Warm enough today to wash my beesuit and dry it on the line.
This is the best I can do for this thread as I don't have any BEES, sob...
:nopity:

The colony named "alwaysfoam" (because the colony has never been in a wooden hive including the queen) has today the following temperatures:

18C at floor level at the back of the hive
24C at the top of a non-central brood frame.

This colony has a PIR Tunnel entrance, deep insulated PIR floor, PIR brood. PIR feeding eke with polycarbonate top and bottom underneath a PIR roof with a small amount of fondant to monitor store requirements with minimal disturbance

The colony named "Waswood" (because the colony was bought in and kept until Autumn is a Th**nes Cedar wooden hive ) has today the following temperature
20C at the junction between the brood box and super at a non central location

This colony has a bought in poly OMF floor, bought in poly brood, one PIR super and a PIR feeding eke with polycarbonate top and bottom under neath a PIR roof with a small amount of fondant to monitor store requirements with minimal disturbance

The ambient temperature at the time of measurement (7.15am) was 8C.

Yesterday

I am recovering from total Right Hip replacement, 4 weeks into rehab.
Spent all morning past 3 days in garage assembling 1 Nat Brood and 2 Supers.
Can stand without crutches now, but cant do full days work yet. I should be fit n well just in time for the brood explosion in two weeks time if the weather continues to be warm like it is now.
I have got to be extra careful NOT to lift and turn sideways and cause a dislocation.
I have been warned in no uncertain terms that IF I do dislocate my new joint, they will put me into a very uncomfortable torso and body brace that I will have to live with for maybe six months.:eek:
Has anyone been down this course of events?

Being beek's we do take chances more than anyone else I guess, and as the season approaches i may be a bit more vulnerable.
Any suggestions, apart from carrying my phone wherever I go?
Bob.
:)

Tbh

How could I fit 18 nationals into one Top Bar Hive? And keep the queens separated. It would have to be 25/30 foot long.:rolleyes:

Having said that I have promised myself to try out some different hives this year, but begin with a warre' to start, build myself of course.
Bob.
:driving: soon.

Oops, sorry Bob, didn't see all those hives.

Then I suggest you get an apprentice.

take on an apprentice? (edit: just beaten to it by SB!)

i hear on the grapevine that you could get a steady stream of work experiencers and only have to pay expenses (not sure if jars of honey count).

only if prepared for the leftie backlash.

Not many of them around... They all want min wage!!!!
Ha Ha. Cheers.
Bob.

At last my 100th Post.

Taken me ages to get here!

Bob.

In large studies dislocation post THR is uncommon (<4%) and often alcohol related.

85% occur within 2 months of surgery.

IMHO i'd just plan a (somewhat suboptimal) conservative approach to the bees for the first part of the season, maybe just giving them a fresh brood box of foundation on top once temps allow. then revisit the situation come easter or thereabouts.

Not many of them around... They all want min wage!!!!
Ha Ha. Cheers.
Bob.

Seriously, try your local association. They may well have newbies who would love to handle hives under your experienced eye.

Latest posts

Back