What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to see a new site for a new apiary today, it's a farm/activity centre. The owners wanted to have the bees in display for visitors to see. They proposed to put stock fencing around 8-10ft away so people couldn't get too close. When I explained what to expect when you have 5 hives in full swing which was comparable to Gatwick runway, they proposed site B out of the way behind the muck heap.

Before Covid we took our youngest granddaughter to a petting and play farm near Hornsea. I noticed a lot of the grassy banks were heavily inhabited by solitary mining bees with little entrance holes all over. Very few others seemed to have realised the bees were there and were happily picnicing amongst the bee activity. The bees just carried on working😉

Before Covid we took our youngest granddaughter to a petting and play farm near Hornsea. I noticed a lot of the grassy banks were heavily inhabited by solitary mining bees with little entrance holes all over. Very few others seemed to have realised the bees were there and were happily picnicing amongst the bee activity. The bees just carried on working😉
There is a wall at RHS Wisley ...alongside one if the restaurants and next to an area they use for educating young people... loads of solitary mining bees have nests in the soft mortar between the bricks.. I don't think many people actually notice them ... I love standing watching them come and go ...just fascinating. They don't seem in the least bothered by the people walking past... I suspect they have missed the crowds this year.

There is a wall at RHS Wisley ...alongside one if the restaurants and next to an area they use for educating young people... loads of solitary mining bees have nests in the soft mortar between the bricks.. I don't think many people actually notice them ... I love standing watching them come and go ...just fascinating. They don't seem in the least bothered by the people walking past... I suspect they have missed the crowds this year.
Still plenty of people going to RHS Wisley, it's been open throughout.

Moved a polynuc to an out apiary a mile away. Placed it adjacent to a colony with a four-year old queen with a view to amalgamation in the spring.
My three apiaries are a mile equidistant. I take no notice of the ' three mile rule' whatever the time of year.

Yesterday I walked a mile along frozen-solid muddy footpaths to open the entrance to the nuc. It had had a bumpy ride in the Berlingo the day before so I decided not to open the entrance then in case the bees came out and froze.

Still plenty of people going to RHS Wisley, it's been open throughout.
Trouble is ... being clinically vulnerable and fifty odd miles away we haven't been able to go there .. we usually go at least four or five times a year and we have really missed it this year. I rather thought it would have been very quiet but I suppose it's almost local to a lot of people ... and a lot of people who don't give a monkey's for the lockdowns ...

Took advantage of the cold weather last night to seed another batch of soft set, half an hour outside was sufficient to get the honey down to 14 degrees and our kitchen is just the right temperature to keep it setting nicely, it's already well stodgy

I’m eyeing up the cheapest creamer from Abelo. What do you think. ?
How much are you planning on making? I do prefer the method I use to be honest, once you get a decent seed, takes five minutes of my day for three to four days (all depends on how quickly it sets, I prefer not to bottle it until it's rearly there), I think using a creamer is just beating the honey until it looks set. And the cost? twenty quid for a spiral mixer (not the corkscrew) from CWJ and an 18V cordless drill.

I think it’s the seed that is the problem with me. And I think last time I didn’t melt the honey properly.
needs to melt totally with only the odd scrap of the original crystals left in it, then brought down to about 30 - 35 degrees before adding the seed then quickly cooling down to around 12 - 15 degrees, I find that at 12 degrees it sets nice and quickly

needs to melt totally with only the odd scrap of the original crystals left in it, then brought down to about 30 - 35 degrees before adding the seed then quickly cooling down to around 12 - 15 degrees, I find that at 12 degrees it sets nice and quickly
I think it’s the seed that is the problem with me. And I think last time I didn’t melt the honey properly.

Making soft-set must depend on what the honey source is? Maybe there's no one ideal method?
Lots of OSR round here - for that crop I run it into buckets. When hard-set after three weeks I warm two buckets @ 35C for 48 hours then stir x2 with a paint stirrer in my drill, then jar via settling tank. No seed, no special cooling regime. Texture smooth, never granular.
For summer honey it's very random, usually one bucket of OSR and one of summer honey but very variable ratio. Repeat above process. No seed.
The result is what I call soft-set = easy to spoon out with a teaspoon. Maybe I'm lucky to have OSR. No need for the rather complex Dyce method.

I’m eyeing up the cheapest creamer from Abelo. What do you think. ?
I have an Abelo honey creamer.
It doesn't whisk the honey as you might first imagine.
It stirs the honey (not fast) for 15 minutes every hour.
As the honey starts to set/crystalise the machine ensures that the small crystals from the seed honey are evenly mixed in.
It's easy to use, easy to clean, and works well.
I only use mine twice a year. It will never pay for itself, but it does produce excellent soft set honey free from air bubbles.
Mine was purchased for me as a gift. Not sure I could have justified the expense otherwise, being as I am just a hobbyists beekeeper.

Put my ear to my polynuc and I could hear them clearly! I guess they are working harder in the cold weather, so perhaps my hearing is better than I thought. May get some bees flying tomorrow, but if not definitely on Monday.

14° is the optimum temperature for crystallisation!

Took advantage of a sunny day with no wind and no rain/snow or ice to check stores on all colonies and add fondant as required.
One mini mating nuc dead of isolation starvation: everything else fine..Bees actually flying and bringing in snowdrop pollen.

Latest posts

Back