What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost finished moving the crates and hives to lineside.
You forget some times when you have to walk across a field.
img_20210221_142711-jpg.24529

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_142711.jpg
    IMG_20210221_142711.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20210221_142726.jpg
    IMG_20210221_142726.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 38
Well, you’ll never be short of rocks to weigh the roofs down!

quick round of the local apiaries, all looking good and still hefting heavy, The wild bees in the hollow oak tree at the Ty Uchaf apiary were out in force today, yet another midwinter they've survived now (still not spring so not declaring them as having survived another winter) think this is year five or six for them

Well, you’ll never be short of rocks to weigh the roofs down!
True, I don't know how farmer mac will feel about that though. There is remnents of a stone set quarry just a stones throw away from the apiary.

Last edited:
Went up to our new apiary site today. Got the pallets on to blocks and all levelled off. Ready to move hives up from my home apiary soon.

Then I can start renovating the old apiary and get that up to scratch.

Attachments

• IMG-20210221-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20210221-WA0001.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20210221-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210221-WA0002.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
I had a poke into some Nucs today and a few hives, most of the Nucs look like they had only recently come into lay. Some had small areas of sealed brood whilst others had eggs/larvae only. Interesting that some had clearly started during the cold week we had. Another interesting point was of those in wood and poly about the same strength wooden Nucs had more sealed brood. Also spotted a couple of drone cells capped in amongst sealed worker obviously the first of the season. In the larger hives pretty much the same but just a couple of frames extra. Ian

End of summer last year, I placed some empty poly nucs in a new location. Mainly to see if they were in the way, visible, accessible etc. Thought I had turned the wheel to close on them all. However, gave them a quick inspection today, and discovered a mouse had been in the house....

View attachment 24504

Bugger! Ahh well, my own fault. Took the frames out, and tipped the leaf contents out on the floor. Just about to walk off, when something caught my eye......

View attachment 24505

Harvest mouse! Still alive, but sleeping.

Picked it up, and placed it in a safe area in the exposed roots under a tree. Covered it again with leaves, and left it be.
I think I’d have put it all back as it was...

Today it actually stopped raining around midday.

Vaped a single colony still dropping too many varroa, for a 48 hour check.
Checked fondants.

Then sat in the almost sun and just watched the bees, birds and bugs. Saw my first bumble bumbling about.

Only 10 degrees and windy today. 'Cracked' the tops to visually check stores ~ happy days ~ all alive with a decent amount of stores and fondant. The only bees flying were two from where I disturbed them.

60+ colonies checked in two afternoons which is good going - yesterday was damp, today dryer and milder and plenty of pollen activity in all the overwintered nucs and hives I checked and topped up with fondant where necessary
Just two issues - a mouse nest in one and one Nuc had had a spot of dysentery which is the first time I’ve seen that for 4-5 years. Probably caused by the cold spell and then not being able to get out - I swiftly transferred the lot into a clean hive that was below the Nuc and topped up with candy. They did look the weakest so probably won’t make it but you never know

plenty of work processing old frames and rendering wax too

and this morning I heard a dawn chorus which must mean spring is around the corner.

kR

S

Beautiful day in London today. Removed a nadired super from one hive which was satisfyingly empty. Brood box felt reasonably heavy so didn’t put any fondant on. Put another hive on a new stand and paving slab so it’s level for a change. Watched all hives bring in loads of pollen 😀

Visited all apiaries today. Hefted and put on the pollen patties I made last week to all hives. Losses this year [so far] is just the one. A good season so far.

Went up to our new apiary site today. Got the pallets on to blocks and all levelled off. Ready to move hives up from my home apiary soon.

Then I can start renovating the old apiary and get that up to scratch.
Looks good👍

All colonies flying today. Removed mouse guards to help the dead be removed. Checked fondants.
Bought and planted two more hellebores for pollen supply.
Judging by mouse/rat activity around my house a bit premature to remove mouse guards. Hope you put them back! We can still have more "beasts from the east" or north. Found two holes. One in a bank outside my perimeter, first smoked then filled in. No activity noticed. Then one in very slight slope in my lawn! Looks like moss has been collected as nest material. My other half said he saw a mouse nose. Put a mouse trap encased in a cold frame over the hole, but no mouse caught. Will dig it up today to see what we find. It is quite a big hole about 7cm in diameter. Would that be a rat rather than a mouse?

Latest posts

Back