What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do many people use what Dave Cushman called, "division boards"....ie. a full-sized board which attempts to completely close off some redundant hive space? I spent half a day making four of those things; each one needs final tailoring to suit the box it will be used in.
No - I just use dummy boards at one end

Do many people use what Dave Cushman called, "division boards"....ie. a full-sized board which attempts to completely close off some redundant hive space? I spent half a day making four of those things; each one needs final tailoring to suit the box it will be used in.

Used them successfully before, I had a strong nuc at the end of the season and a full hive would have been to much space so made a division board from ply, insulated behind it and let them overwinter on 8 frames, that nuc in particular went on to be the strongest colony for the season.

Even better if you can make them from PIR insulation sheet and foil tape the edges.

No - I just use dummy boards at one end

That was suggested in the enclosure supplied with our recent nuc, (one A4 sheet of very basic instructions.......you get better with boil-in-the-bag rice :) ) A dummy-board "tells" the bees where to stop, but doesn't seal off the void, which seemed an important thing to do when we were trying to create a warm and managegable space for a seriously undermanned workforce.

I like the idea of being able to subdivide a full National and can see several uses for it, one of which would be to raise nucs without having to obtain a load of nuc boxes which eventually become redundant. If I'm eventually going to hive the nucs, why not just buy the hive? :)

Yes, I use them occcasionally to dummy down a hive. I tend then to fill the space behind them with insulation. I used them extensively in my Long deep hive for a variety of purposes. Useful bit of kit that you have to make as (afaik) there are no commercially available ones.

Yes. A lot of us make them from PIR
Very useful for nuc colonies in full size boxes

I have used them to dummy down a full hive but I made one for my long hive which is the same as a standard dummy board with a flexible rubber edge. This makes the void at the end bee proof!

Went up the castle to deliver some honey as they are now allowed to leave the great unwashed in. It was heaving, so I quickly left to have a look at the bees there. One colony (failed supersedure) needed shaking out and surprise surprise, an unite which did work (strong hopelessly queenless colony to strong Q+ colony) is now a two queen colony as all of a sudden there's a bit of worker brood in the bottom box so obviously they had made a supersedure queen before the old one pegged it. Ah well, I'm sure they'll sort it out amongst themselves.
The cheering note was, there was still quite a few bramble flowers opening, or on the point of opening and another colony which, in the spring I thought the old red queen was flagging and was due for replacement until on the day another hive ws more needy of a new queen and old red had bucked up a bit, is now going great guns, nine frames wall to wall brood, thre or four supers worth of honey on and still filling, and the old queen still plodding across the frames laying like stink.
This apiary is at the foot of the crag that the castle sits on the rock is now almost hidden with mixed native woodland and a lot of ash, but I'm afraid it has been hit hard by dieback and is looking pretty poorly. I think before long the distant view of
the castle will look more like it did before the last war
.old castle.jpgdieback.jpg

Lovely to see those photos Jenkins. A magic spot there still, despite the dieback of the Ash etc. which is disappointing to see. Looks nice and green too.

I've just been to inspect the highest apiarys, 8 colonys in total 1 super from all very poor.
14x12 colonys x2 have lots of stores in the brood boxes hardly any in the supers above so I've condensed to one as it looks like they are getting ready for winter.
Three nucs which had new queens last month are doing well, one needs a good feed so I'll be making some syrup up and driving over to the lineside apiary to feed later this eve.
Cardigan Bay honeys queen is laying like a train 4/5 frames of solid brood.
My two queens aren't far behind on 3 frames of brood.
My only hope now is with the Heather at
Catherton which is about a week to 10 days away..
At least I've managed to get all queen's mated and now got up to a good number this season I'll be taking 35 into winter.

I've had good reports back on the nucs I've sold this season all my own queen's.
Some have even produced some honey for the clients I've sold them to which is absolutely brilliant!
It makes all the sweating and running around all worth while.
This season I've been mentoring some of the folk who bought nucs, albeit from a distance this has been a rewarding challenge and long may it continue in years to come.

I've learnt more this season than I had in the three years previous.
Ps.. Not many drones or drone brood in these colonys either now.
15964598328589017677320531830776.jpg

Last edited:
Took the last supers off the hives yesterday. Extracted all day today. As I suspected, got ~40% of last year honey, happy with that though considering the year so far.
hives/nucs are pretty much in winter configuration now.

Took the last supers off the hives yesterday. Extracted all day today. As I suspected, got ~40% of last year honey, happy with that though considering the year so far.
hives/nucs are pretty much in winter configuration now.

It seems the bees reckon on an early Winter?? Several folk have posted how the bees are preparing - but it’s only early August!

It seems the bees reckon on an early Winter?? Several folk have posted how the bees are preparing - but it’s only early August!
Looking at the hedgerows, I reckon they are spot on. I picked 1.5lb of blackberries today, never picked that many this early in August. The Rowan and the Hawthorn berries are ripening early too. Haven’t checked the Rosehips, but I expect they are almost ripe as well. It could be a very long winter. :(

I bet you’re glad you moved from the Marches!
The weather down here is so different! We get 8 hours more sunshine a day for a start! You would think the levels would get rain but it seems it just rains in the surrounding hills and we get the water!

I've noticed the difference between our bees on high ground and down at 500ft.
My colonys are by far bigger and have produced more honey this summer at 500ft.
My bee's at catherton are 600ft or so hopefully the Heather pays of and the weather holds.

Latest posts

Back