What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enoughs enough, I've managed to get round 4 apiarys and the heat is making the girls a bit aggressive so I've taken to siting on the decking in the shade with a cider and cornetto!
Tomorrow is another day!

Admin why am I not supporting the forum any more??
I've just recently donated. Looks like it's been changed from earlier today?

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I picked up the third swarm of the week. This one was tiny, about a pint of bees all told.

Sadly some ‘do gooder’ pulled up all the Balsam on the lane beside one of my apiaries .

I was not impressed - at least wait until the flowers have gone !

S
By which time the seed would of spread every where I like your thinking!

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Which by then would be pretty pointless

I really don't get this blind obsession with this pernicious weed
Blame the victorians, I'm not hole heartedly happy with it it's taking over in some parts up with me!
What ever happened to the rust trials they were doing??

Blame the victorians, I'm not hole heartedly happy with it it's taking over in some parts up with me!
What ever happened to the rust trials they were doing??

I noted on my morning walk that parts near the local stream which were usually covered in HB in prior years have very little..

Some pernicious pullers but not round there so I assume crop failure? ( impact of lots of severe late frosts?)

Whereas a local gully with a large patch of HB last year has a larger one this year..

I noted on my morning walk that parts near the local stream which were usually covered in HB in prior years have very little..

Some pernicious pullers but not round there so I assume crop failure? ( impact of lots of severe late frosts?)

Whereas a local gully with a large patch of HB last year has a larger one this year..
This is just out on the Common.

It has spread up the valley for 2 miles
2fd5dbdb1e5d2f7b22140974aec1110c.jpg
37eec355df47bd3558629be56bf0b96e.jpg

Enoughs enough, I've managed to get round 4 apiarys and the heat is making the girls a bit aggressive so I've taken to siting on the decking in the shade with a cider and cornetto!
Tomorrow is another day!

Admin why am I not supporting the forum any more??
I've just recently donated. Looks like it's been changed from earlier today?

Send Mark a PM

I have been pulling out HB along the river bank that borders my garden. Last year I allowed it to spread. It effectively smothered native river bank vegetation, then died back leaving the bank open to erosion. It was a wet Winter and I lost a chunk of garden.
It kind of goes against the grain but sensible.

I have been pulling out HB along the river bank that borders my garden. Last year I allowed it to spread. It effectively smothered native river bank vegetation, then died back leaving the bank open to erosion. It was a wet Winter and I lost a chunk of garden.

It kind of goes against the grain but sensible.
There was supposed to be a trial with rust last year so I was watching on country file.. I've not seen or heard about it since. Did you see it on there? or anyone else for that matter??

It's good for the bees but not good for the native Flora.

Yes I saw something but I'm not a fan of releasing one thing to sort another, we cause too many problems and this could be another. In my experience, if there's something else on offer, the bees ignore the Balsam.

Yes I saw something but I'm not a fan of releasing one thing to sort another, we cause too many problems and this could be another. In my experience, if there's something else on offer, the bees ignore the Balsam.
That seems to be happening this season so far Steve it's being ignored.

I though the rust was only percific to hb.. Meaning it wouldn't effect other species of plants??

I thought the bees really go for the balsam. I don’t feel so guilty pulling it now😀
It's rather poor nectar, high water content, so if there's anything else around, they may take pollen from it but little else.

I'm about to knock together 40 brood box dummy boards, having had the wood cut yesterday.

Do many people use what Dave Cushman called, "division boards"....ie. a full-sized board which attempts to completely close off some redundant hive space? I spent half a day making four of those things; each one needs final tailoring to suit the box it will be used in.

Latest posts

Back