What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went and watched them flying for a while but didnt see any pollen brought in even though i have seen some gorse starting recently. Then i went home and started researching plants for my garden to help with the bees. A few good looking favourites picked out just need to try and source them at a reasonable price now

Today I checked mite falling, it is a bit early but from 0-6. Sun showed today and bees rushed to the hazels, even it just start to open male catkins.. Worked today around our hazels, not bees though..

Attachments

• DSCN0210.jpg
    DSCN0210.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 32
Sun showed today and bees rushed to the hazels, even it just start to open male catkins..

Also lots of hazel catkins here, be a few more weeks before they start to yield any pollen though, there is also lots of good quality gorse pollen available.

Also lots of hazel catkins here, be a few more weeks before they start to yield any pollen though, there is also lots of good quality gorse pollen available.

same here - gorse is a riot of yellow at the moment, catkins won't be long and the snowdrops are poking their noses out already

Did some more tree "pruning" to let light into the area at the end of the garden next to the apiary. Today no bees flying at all - yesterday all three colonies were getting acquainted with their surroundings and it was like a Summer day with so many bees flying.

Err.. you must live in warmer climes.. No snowdrops yet visible let alone crocus.

Soft southerners. (!!) no wonder you made such a fuss earlier this year for a few inches of snow :paparazzi::paparazzi:

Bee's out flying past few days hefted hives and vaped...
Catkins out , Helleborus looks ready any day now

Fed 45 nucs. All but 3 were completely out of fondant. Each got 3kg.

Also vaped 20 nucs.

Thats me done for the year!

Fed 45 nucs. All but 3 were completely out of fondant. Each got 3kg.

Also vaped 20 nucs.

Thats me done for the year!

It's a real pain this year having to feed the nucs before the new year. My main colonies filled up nicely with balsam and ivy but some of the nucs just didn't make the weight. I've had fondant on about 50% for over a month now. It upsets my vapping though the crown board.

Last edited:
It's a real pain this year having to feed the nucs before the new year. My main colonies filled up nicely with balsam and ivy but some of the nucs just didn't make the weight. I've had fondant on about 50% for over a month now.

Yep - exactly the same. Full colonies took full advantage of the Ivy flows and are still full of stores. The nucs are mostly light and have already taken down 3kg of winter fondant (I fed them up on fondant in the Autumn as well). They will certainly need another top up or two before they become self sufficient in the spring.

They all look a good size though and some that are on trebles are positively huge. They have only just made it into the second box!

All my hives have bees flying today.Good to see they are still ok. The weather seems to be following the same pattern as last year so I'm expecting cold weather later on.

Feed the nucs some fondant, been very mild here last 2 days so nice to see life in all four of the nucs.

Today when they felt the sun.. bees poured out and were all over the orchard.. Temp is written 7C, but maybe it was near 10C in warmest period of day.. Hazel catkins evidently are more dusting and female flowers are few visible. According to prognosis, till Monday will be similar weather ( low night minus and 5-7C day temp - on sun higher). The bees will be able to gather decent qty of hazel pollen ( I think I will hear a " click" of brood start soon).. In January engines should get tuned, then afterward just roaring..

11 degrees and calm here today so checked all 4 hives to see if needed anymore fondant. All still had some on and didn't need any.

All 4 still on 5 or more frames of bees (1 on 8 frames) and still looking strong. Will check them again in a month for fondant.

The sweet scent of Daphne out in full bloom in the sunshine... here is to yet another very successful and bountiful season with Cornish dark native bees ( and a few colonies of Buckfasts's to see what they can do.... in a valley far over the Tamar.. away over in bordering shire of Devon!)

:calmdown:

and a few colonies of Buckfasts's to see what they can do.... i
When you turn to the dark side do it in style....

A few tips...... make sure you are dealing with reputable Buckfast queen sellers. There are people out there breeding crap and just calling it Buckfast
Spring management can be key, as most queens will only lay in the top brood box until the weather warms up, keep moving frames of eggs etc downstairs to bottom brood. But time this to about 6-7 weeks prior to your major nectar flows.
Give these big colonies plenty of room ...you need lots of bee parking space..so super well before you think you need to.

Way to go, man.....

Last edited:
Checked my garden hives , I'm glad I've clear crown boards now as the children can observe,
Fondant is being stored and there moving up into the Half's , max 6 seams of bee's , one on 4 .
Inspection boards are clear of varroa, but store cappings/brood and some pollen (gorse).
Nice to see them alive, and looking strong.
Merry Christmas girlies..

Latest posts

Back