What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last jarring session of the year, I bought a swienty filling machine a month ago which has been amazing, I could not have managed this month without it.
Just looked at eight hives in the garden and all flying cleaning out dead bees and having a poo, top of hives covered in yellow streaks.

Does anyone have experience of the bee equipment pre assembled frames?, tempted to go that route.

Last edited:
A few bees buzzing around. Maybe having a dump? Also a light dusting of brood cappings on inspection board. Is she ever going to close down for the winter? All hives fully loaded and heavy.

last jarring session of the year, I bought a swienty filling machine a month ago which has been amazing, I could not have managed this month without it.

I would be really interested in details: model,price, performance, please.

Just looked at eight hives in the garden and all flying cleaning out dead bees and having a poo, top of hives covered in yellow streaks.

Does anyone have experience of the bee equipment pre assembled frames?, tempted to go that route.

I bought some with the plastic foundation in them (not wax) and probably had over 5% split by the staples. Suspect they hadn’t noticed the power setting on the staple gun machine wasn’t set right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OA trickling today. All seems OK. Since that one colony I lost, and hearing about heavy losses around.. I admit was bit worried what I will find. Since it is about 8-10C, bees loosen a bit and now avg is near 6 seams.. :coolgleamA:

Havent even properly got going! :(

Did OAV last week. Just checked the drop, which was light in all hives ( I have better things to do than count mites). I will therefore not repeat.
Hefted all hives, and despite the mild weather they are still ok for weight, however I do leave them what honey is in with the brood, and have a good ivy flow.

Waiting for at least one week of cold weather to move all my hives 25 metres to another part of my garden!

Haven't started yet, fed up just looking at nearly sixty brood box's to fill.

Did some tree pruning to allow light into a gravelled area at the very end of the garden. Will move hives into this area when possible.
Was " marooned" by SO MANY bees flying & orientating today between 12:00 and 1:00pm as I had no protective gear on and was dressed in dark colours.
It was great to see all hives so active - it was like a Summer day.
Bees largely covered the front of one hive and the air was a melee of bees - made me think I might put a bait hive out!!
Not proper December antics.

Yesterday did OAV on the garden hive, as soon as I moved they were out on the front of the hive seeing what was going on.
Today lots out flying even though it’s not stopped raining was nice to see but can’t help thinking they should be all tucked up now, not out foraging although some pollen coming in, gorse I think, or at least that’s all I’ve seen in flower close by

Home Made Vaporized

Vaporized my bees today with my home made vaporizers, the electric one was made with bits I had laying around the garage, I just had to manufacture the aluminium block. I bought the glow plug for £2.50.
I used this on my 3 Nationals.

The gas one was also made from bits I also had laying around, used this on my 2 Nucs, just drilled a 16mm hole low down in the front of each Nuc to accept the pipe.

So grand noticeable cost £2.50 !!!

Attachments

• Elec Vap.jpg
    Elec Vap.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Gas Vap.jpg
    Gas Vap.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 30
You put the oxalic acid crystals in the reservoir in the T section, heat it up with a gas blow torch, then as the oxalic acid starts to vaporize you pump the vapour into the hive with the turkey baster, works a treat !

Latest posts

Back