What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instrumentally inseminated a virgin queen and, more feeding, should be about done with that by early next week.

Queen laying, feeding finished, mini quad boxes off the pallets and into their winter positions...just a few more to move, then on with more extracting.

You keep your hives in one long row with all the entrances facing forwards ? Surely you get quite alot of drifting (despite the different colours of the hives)

You keep your hives in one long row with all the entrances facing forwards ? Surely you get quite alot of drifting (despite the different colours of the hives)
I believe there is some drift as You say. But these on the ends aren't always best in yields and strength, I didn't notice due position it happens, it is more due queens. Carnies are known for excellent orienting. I don't have some significant problems with mating also ( some " higher" failure rate I noticed in July and August - but I like these " late" queens). Rows are 20-30 hives with small spacing between group of hives.
Migratory beeks have problem when they place hives relative near in front of hives of other beeks. These in front gather the most of fliers ( I was told so from beeks who goes migratory beekeeping).

I got out and planted 350 crocus for early nectar/pollen.

Good on you and them Crocus are good for early pollen, i planted over 1000 several years back from a crap company which means 1/4 of them flower each spring, luckily the bees are alive when the willow wood blooms.

Attachments

• bees on willow 005.JPG
    bees on willow 005.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 9

Yes well worth it.
Millet and I share the same source. Mine, however, all come up without fail.
I have planted another five hundred this autumn, adding some slightly bigger and later flowering ones ,as well as some more specie crocuses.

This variety come up early so im hoping they will do well. Im going to get more snowdrops and a couple of vibirnum too but havent had time to get to nursery. Are there any other early plants you can suggest?

This variety come up early so im hoping they will do well. Im going to get more snowdrops and a couple of vibirnum too but havent had time to get to nursery. Are there any other early plants you can suggest?

Helleborus Orientalis................ and our Daphne flowers through to April

Yeghes da

Butterbur of you have room as it can become a little invasive. Some of mine are blooming already.
Willow is good, a great source of early pollen.

Hyacinth are good for the bees but its a bit late in the year to be planting them for early spring.

Attachments

• Bees on hyacinth 006.JPG
    Bees on hyacinth 006.JPG
    385.9 KB · Views: 12
I collected all the feeders from my apiaries yesterday. This morning I put the boiler on to provide hot water to clean them up. I decided to tidy up the bee shed whilst waiting for the boiler. It took me 2 hours. I pulled everything out and re-organised the crates and boxes and their contents. To my joy I found a box with 50 national brood frames in it. I spent a week in the Spring saying I thought I had some! I then went and bought some! Oh the joy. I will not need to buy any new frames for at least 5 years.
I washed the feeders in washing soda and thick bleach, rinsed them all and allowed them to dry in the sunshine before packing them away.

I collected all the feeders from my apiaries yesterday. This morning I put the boiler on to provide hot water to clean them up. I decided to tidy up the bee shed whilst waiting for the boiler. It took me 2 hours. I pulled everything out and re-organised the crates and boxes and their contents. To my joy I found a box with 50 national brood frames in it. I spent a week in the Spring saying I thought I had some! I then went and bought some! Oh the joy. I will not need to buy any new frames for at least 5 years.
I washed the feeders in washing soda and thick bleach, rinsed them all and allowed them to dry in the sunshine before packing them away.

Be careful not to mix bleach and washing soda and then closing the container ! Very dangerous when the pressure builds up !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had to do a 50 + mile round trip as the Varromoor vaporiser ran out of propane..... should have taken a spare, I think the Russian Translation has a decimal point in the wrong place and would not complete 1000 doses.. only just managed 180!!
Will sack the Russian girlfriend!!

But very pleasant in the sunshine up on the moors and the Defender going sweetly now!

Nos da

Checking if everybody had enough stores........ and found this cluster odd different Ladybirds next to my crownboard.
54cf77db114214a2882bf918dcefa07b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back