What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instrumentally inseminated a virgin queen and, more feeding, should be about done with that by early next week.

IMG_1890.jpg

Watched the bees in the nuc still very busy bringing in pollen. Saw 2 wasps enter the hive, non came back out.
Later painted my first attempt at a home made brood box, too much today time on my hands today

18 C at 3:30pm in the apiary today. I tied roofs down on 2-3 box polyhives so they are ready for winter.
A couple of 14*12s I look after weigh just over 37 and 41kg each so they're ready too.

Put my two apideas inside polynucs for extra winter warmth. Both have good queens and I am presuming brood as expanded nicely. One is on double apidea so needed to put in deep Nuc. Fondant fed, and fingers crossed.

Checked hives today one hive getting lighter so will need more feeding.Hive that has requeened queen has finally started laying.

Found a dormouse in a small nest box at one of the apiaries...fast asleep.

Checked hives today one hive that was a bit light still taking feed .All hives still bringing in loads of ivy pollen.

Called in to check on a colony that was tipped over by sheep last weekend. Happily doing their thing again, thankfully.
Lots of Ivy activity throughout the apiary.

One colony robbing a nuc this afternoon :(
Closed up trapping a good few robbers......Looks like they have a new home, then.
I'll move them away and put an empty box with a some food in its place.

Those are the ones found here, never seen any of the Glis glis (edible dormouse) in this area.
I hope you never do! Glis Glis are an absolute nuisance in the Chilterns and surrounding area. Chew electrical cable and cause house fires. They were introduced by the Romans but it is generally accepted that there was a re-introduction by Lord Rothchild in the 19th Century. There range has been expanding quite rapidly in recent years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back