What are my options?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flotess

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'd appreciate some thoughts...

I joined this fantastic hobby last year with a purchased nuc. All went well... and I was quite proud of getting the ladies thru the worst summer for some time in good order.

However, they didn't make it thru the winter. A mentor took a look at what was left and suggested they might not have been strong enough in number to make it thru.

I feel I'm a little bit back to square one. Hoping that my hive, now replete with drawn frames will be more attractive to a passing swarm... but given the very few hives in the area I'm suspecting I may not be so lucky.

I'd rather not splash out on another nuc... But what are my options??

You thoughts appreciated!

Are you in an association? do they collect swarms and have a list?
if you are... and they do... you could get a replacement for your lost bees.

sorry they did not make it. :(

-
Did you treated them against varroa in September?

, Varroa reduces colony size before wintering.

Another thing is that it the hive has has been too cold in summer, the build up is slow.

You cannot expect freebies ad lib. Beekeeeping ain't cheap. Buy another nuc early on, feed it thoroughly until it is viable for going into a hive proper, albeit with dummy boards and 1" Celotex insulation initially, and treat with Thymol for varroa late August and again around Xmas with oxalic - and keep feeding Ambrosia syrup and fondant or similar should the weather be as poor as it has been over the past 9 months. You have had one failure which may not have been entirly your fault but maybe you contributed somehow.

given the very few hives in the area I'm suspecting I may not be so lucky.

How do you know there are very few hives?

Are you registered on Beebase? If the location of your apiary is added you can see how many registered apiaries there are within a 10km radius, and while this exceeds the distance an emerging swarm will migrate it gives you a good idea.

A quick overview of colony density and distribution can be seen by selecting "foulbrood inspections" "all diagnoses" "all years" and zooming in at this map

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/maps/map.cfm

If there is any doubt whatsoever over why the colony didn't survive then there is no point in using it as a bait hive or throwing a swarm into it.

Are there any corpses of bees left, or areas of failed brood?

Have you been in touch with the local bee inspector?

Buy another hive. Set up bait hives.
Get your name on a swarm list. Order 1 nuc.
Make sure you have 2 colonies going into next winter. That way it's usually free to replace lost bees. The law of averages sees to it that we all lose some of our bees some of the time. None of use lose all of our bees all of the time.

You could improve your chances by elevating your bait hive. Lifting a hive comprised of a floor, a brood box and a roof may not be too easy, so a purpose built plywood box is better. The recommened dimensios are a 15" cube. I make mine this size with felt on the top, strips of batten on the side as handles and a disk closer thingy on the entrance.

My guess is that there will be a lot of equipment coming up on fleabuy etc next Autumn / Spring as £100s worth of equipment lies unused in would be beekeeper's sheds, as newbees give up...there may be a lack of bees for sale this year... unless loads get imported from far far away, and possibly those bees will not be suitable for UK conditions?

Best bite the bullet and throw some hard earned cash at your "hobby" and buy some locally bred bees... as you say, may not bee a lot of free swarms about this year!

:party-smiley-050:Get your name on a swarm list..............

.........Ha Ha ... had one call last year from local association list...... and that was for a load of flies hanging around an ivy bush!

You cannot expect freebies ad lib. Beekeeeping ain't cheap. Buy another nuc early on, feed it thoroughly until it is viable for going into a hive proper, albeit with dummy boards and 1" Celotex insulation initially, and treat with Thymol for varroa late August and again around Xmas with oxalic - and keep feeding Ambrosia syrup and fondant or similar should the weather be as poor as it has been over the past 9 months. You have had one failure which may not have been entirly your fault but maybe you contributed somehow.

That sounded a bit tough.....it just sounded like a polite 'ask' to me. I applaud you for asking and wanting to carry on despite your disappointment. Hopefully someone in your area will come up with a nuc that they might let you have at mates rates! I would if you were in this area keep at it!
E

There may also be an opportunity to buy a nuc at a reasonable rate from your Association, assuming you are a member.

Keep at it and hopefully you won't have to splash any cash.

That sounded a bit tough.....it just sounded like a polite 'ask' to me. I applaud you for asking and wanting to carry on despite your disappointment. Hopefully someone in your area will come up with a nuc that they might let you have at mates rates! I would if you were in this area keep at it!

:iagree:

You could use your empty hive as a bait hive, get your name on a 'swarm wanted' list and ask members of your bka if they can help you out.

Good luck

Get your name on a swarm list..............
.........Ha Ha ... had one call last year from local association list...... and that was for a load of flies hanging around an ivy bush!
Not the way all associations operate. If a swarm call goes through the association and it's not from an obvious source (and they are honey bees), then it's offered to any member with no colonies, i.e. starters or lost their bees. Ideally they go along to collect it with somebody experienced but if not it's collected and the starter pays for a few frames and a contribution to petrol. Last year there were enough for all on the list and calls later in the summer saying "can anybody house a swarm?"

Latest posts

Back