Weed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffin dodger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 of my own + 2 shared
Hi All,

I was out in the riverbank with the dogs this afternoon and the bees were out in force too, mainly on the Marsh Marigolds but a lot of them seemed to be going for some other sort of weed that grows in profusion, Here's a pic of one that I cut, Does anyone have any idea what it is please ?

Regards
CD

I'm sureish that ITLD posted about the usefulness of that weed recently. Can't for the life of me remember what he said it was? Nothing that grows near me.
ITLD?
Cazza

Agreed Cazza.

Of course whether it's a weed or not depends on the grower, I have it around my pond deliberately, so not a weed in my book.

As for being in flower, and Marsh Marigolds flowering, weeks away here, might have to move East!

Simon

Yes, Petasites...... butterburr
A very valuable source of early nectar
I have some planted around my pond

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the information and identification not worthy
It's nice to know what these things are and that the bees like them, I'm suprised that the marsh marigolds aren't out in Leeds too it shows what a difference 60 odd miles can make and I'll apologise for the weed comment now if the bees like them then thats fine with me :thanks:

Regards
CD

I have it around my pond deliberately, so not a weed in my book.

As for being in flower, and Marsh Marigolds flowering, weeks away here, might have to move East!

I'm suprised that the marsh marigolds aren't out in Leeds too it shows what a difference 60 odd miles can make

Add another hundred or so miles to that, to the south of you! We've got both Marsh Marigolds and Butterbur by our pond. There's no sign of either yet, let alone a chance of them flowering. It's too cold.

Latest posts

Back