Chronic bee paralysis overnight?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing that concerns me with this is that any 'nasties' suspected on the old combs would surely be transferred to the new combs after sitting there for weeks.
But you’ve said in the past that you don’t even destroy the “infected” combs, simply requeen

That's my point. I requeened, if I was concerned the brood combs held infection, I would be equally concerned about transmitting it to the new box and combs.

i thought the virus was carried on legs etc of dead bees and in clearing them out, others get infected...therefore a complete clear out and blow lamp of brood box needed

Have a read of David Evans blog. He’s done much research on CBPV and he says he’d clear out old frames

Would that be because they are a proven disease vector or as insurance? I'm asking because it doesn't explain why requeening was successful in its own right.
The advice at the time was chuck them in the air, after a long chat with Pete I took his advice instead, that was about seven years ago and nothing was reinfected.

Insurance because scientists who research it don’t know either.
Chucking them in the air has been frowned on for ten years because as you know it’s quite likely to actually spread disease.
Pete at first left his colonies alone. Some made it some didn’t.
The colony I’m dealing with at the moment were huge coming out of winter. The queen was laying like a train. I didn’t want to risk it.
You pays your money you takes your choice.

I had the bee inspector come last week to deal with cbdv in a hive. We carried the hive 50m away, shook out every bee. Reassembled the hive with no floor...he said to repeat it every other day x 3. I didn't get an opportunity to do that, had a look today and am pretty sure there are still diseased bees. I shook all the bees of a few frames of brood and added them to a nuc. Was that a mistake?

I had the bee inspector come last week to deal with cbdv in a hive. We carried the hive 50m away, shook out every bee. Reassembled the hive with no floor...he said to repeat it every other day x 3. I didn't get an opportunity to do that, had a look today and am pretty sure there are still diseased bees. I shook all the bees of a few frames of brood and added them to a nuc. Was that a mistake?

Why didn't you continue doing what the BI said, rather than this nuc idea?

Sorry but throwing them in the air is the last thing he should have advised you.
It just introduces diseased bees into other colonies.
Post 3 is what you do. That’s what most of the inspectorate is coming round to. That or euthanasia

I think you've been replied to a few times already, but yes, I'm afraid it was- and those who've responded already have more experience than I.

The idea of shaking out a colony with a transmissible disease doesn't make sense in my opinion- it can increase the risk of spread to other colonies as individuals will disperse and will also stress the affected colony which is unlikely to improve their chances of survival IMO. The no floor was a step in the right direction though. As said already by others, expect it to take several weeks. The aim of the no floor is to reduce the R number of the CBPV and putting them into a nuc, unless there is no floor on that, won't achieve that aim. Have a look through the thread I linked at the start of this thread as, IIRC, JBM explained it all pretty well including the 'why'.

I think you've been replied to a few times already, but yes, I'm afraid it was- and those who've responded already have more experience than I.

The idea of shaking out a colony with a transmissible disease doesn't make sense in my opinion- it can increase the risk of spread to other colonies as individuals will disperse and will also stress the affected colony which is unlikely to improve their chances of survival IMO. The no floor was a step in the right direction though. As said already by others, expect it to take several weeks. The aim of the no floor is to reduce the R number of the CBPV and putting them into a nuc, unless there is no floor on that, won't achieve that aim. Have a look through the thread I linked at the start of this thread as, IIRC, JBM explained it all pretty well including the 'why'.
The why is pretty simple - the bees that die don't only just fall off the comb on to the floor (where they need to be carried out by the undertakers) but fall out of the hive totally so then get forgotten about. This means that the young bees that act as undertakers don't get their mandibles infected by the virus and then don't spread it through the hive.
That's the theory anyway and SBI's have reported positive results so far.

Even some SBI's tend to act like dinosaurs and ignore best practice set out by the NBU.
To tell anyone to shake out a colony with CBPV is total imbecility
Current thinking is 50-100 metres distant from hive apparently

Why didn't you continue doing what the BI said, rather than this nuc idea?
I only took a frame of sealed brood. No bees. To add to a nuc. Sbi said that was OK..virus is on the bees, not the brood.

Current thinking is 50-100 metres distant from hive apparently
Not according to three RBI's when I did my DASH training last year - shaking them out at any distance was seen as pointless and foolish.

Not according to three RBI's when I did my DASH training last year - shaking them out at any distance was seen as pointless and foolish.
Indeed.
What Lottie did was wrong but it’s not her fault as she did only what her SBI told her to do
I’d like to think maybe her SBI might take a look into this thread.

Latest posts

Back