wax moth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethjbarry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering if anyone has any methods for keeping wax moth from destroying drawn comb over winter that isnt to freeze it? I dont have a big chest freezer to its not really a option for me. I will be stacking them in the shed with a crown board on top and underneath to help stop the moths getting in.

What you suggest is about all I do. The weather if it freezes is enough to kill the eggs and larvae of waxmoths but rather than crownboards, I have several ready cut to fit 5 ply sheets as this gives a tighter fit with a weight on top of the pile (can of Ambrosia usually). Many beeks merely stack everything outside anyway. My 5 ply sheeets also come in very useful when I am taking off individual frames for extraction as they minimise bees following the frames.

Hi Gareth,
I would be very careful with storage after witnessing a whole stack of supers being destroyed by wax moth at our apiary despite being treated with Certan and despite a cold winter. I don't have a large freezer either, but freeze in small batches for 48 hrs and store boxes with roof on in heavy plastic bags to stop re-infestation.

I spray the frames with a product called Mellonex.

I get it on the web from a bees supplier in Bordeaux

and the frames need to be dry before storing

Michael

I was wondering if anyone has any methods for keeping wax moth from destroying drawn comb over winter that isnt to freeze it? I dont have a big chest freezer to its not really a option for me. I will be stacking them in the shed with a crown board on top and underneath to help stop the moths getting in.

Stacking supers indoors isn't a good idea, not unless you want to keep the wax moth happy. The least you should do is store them outside where frost can get at them - natural freezing is as good as using a home freezer, although it's less reliable in some parts of the country because you need it to stay below freezing for a couple of days.

You can treat a stack of supers with acetic acid or sulphur. Check Dave Cushman's site for more information http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/waxmothtreatment.html. There's been a fair bit of discussion on this forum too, use the google search top left to find relevant threads.

I spray mine with Certan. Works fine and easy to do.
Cazza

Last year, I used sulphur strips, burned in an old fish fillets tin.

Only, being a clever clogs, I didn't follow the advice exactly.

The advice was to burn it inside a brood box, sealed with a crown board, at the top of the stack of supers. Not having a spare bb, I used a super.....

........ and had to hang around anxiously, as the crownboard got hotter and hotter, till it started to blacken slightly.

Being a bloke, I was too arrogant, tight-fisted and plain stupid, to cut my losses and dismantle the stack, so it was a tense couple of hours in the cold garage, pretending to be making up frames, till it cooled off.

Still, my stubbornness paid off: everything was ok, nothing got charred and the supers were fine after winter.

And nobody knows what a plonker I was.

I'll be using them again this year - but now I've got a spare 14 x 12.....

Dusty

Last year, I used sulphur strips, burned in an old fish fillets tin.

Only, being a clever clogs, I didn't follow the advice exactly.

The advice was to burn it inside a brood box, sealed with a crown board, at the top of the stack of supers. Not having a spare bb, I used a super.....

........ and had to hang around anxiously, as the crownboard got hotter and hotter, till it started to blacken slightly.

Being a bloke, I was too arrogant, tight-fisted and plain stupid, to cut my losses and dismantle the stack, so it was a tense couple of hours in the cold garage, pretending to be making up frames, till it cooled off.

Still, my stubbornness paid off: everything was ok, nothing got charred and the supers were fine after winter.

And nobody knows what a plonker I was.

I'll be using them again this year - but now I've got a spare 14 x 12.....

Dusty

That makes me feel Soooo much better - I thought it was only me with the Man thing about not giving up ! Confession is very good for the soul though ...

I stored mine out of doors with a crown board above and below, and covered up by a large plastic sheet weighted down to keep them dry last winter. All the frames went mouldy. Have been told that I should have had some air circulating to prevent mould. What do you do? How do you store your frames? I've got to get it right this year. They're still sat empty on top of their hives at the moment.
I don't want mould or wax moth.

Last year stored wet in the covered dog run (no dogs in there now) sealed inside some plastic bags.Not sure what I'll be doing this year as a) I have more supers to store b) I no longer have access to the large heavyweight plastic bag and seal emporium :D

I stored mine out of doors with a crown board above and below, and covered up by a large plastic sheet weighted down to keep them dry last winter. All the frames went mouldy. Have been told that I should have had some air circulating to prevent mould. What do you do? How do you store your frames? I've got to get it right this year. They're still sat empty on top of their hives at the moment.

Make sure they're stacked clear of the ground. Mine are behind the shed, on bearers that sit on some old plastic crates. If you haven't got spare wire mesh you could try nylon insect-proof mesh or weed control fabric beneath the boxes, and hope mice or slugs don't get through it. Weatherproof lid on top of each stack - have you got spare hive roofs?

Sounds like they need to go outside in that case then. I heard that lavender keeps them out. Has anyone had success with that or is it an old wives tale?

Sulphur burning

How long do you keep the stack of supers/ brood boxes stacked, with sulphur burner inside? and is the pong such that it is advisable to do it outside rather than in the garage?

Thanks

Weelll, I leave my sulphur burner in situ, ready for a further treatment later, if the weather is not favourable (not needed to, this last couple of years). My burners range from an old smoker to old tin cans, each safely positioned and covered to avoid any risk of an unwanted conflagration. Nothing fancy like bigT would like to sell me.

Best done outdoors. SO2 is nasty and I avoid lighting fires in wooden boxes of flammable wax inside a building.

totally off topic but when I hovered my mouse over the original thread it said

I was wondering if anyone has any methods for keeping wax moth from destroying drawn comb over winter that isnt to freeze it? I dont have a big chest

I thought that was a bit personal and wondered how a small chest would be better for wax moth!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back