Wax moth prevention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why spend money licensing a product for beekeeping?
:iagree: it's very much a niche product - even within the beekeeping community.
The thousands of pounds needed plus the hoops they have to jump through - it's just not worth it.

Oh right, why is it not licenced are there risks to using it?
Well ... the jury's out ... the argument is that you are treating frames that are NOT in the hive for wax moth ... you are not treating the bees for a disease/infestation. So, although they are not licensed treatments, even as a non treater, I take the view that they do not need licensing as long as they are not used within an active hive but as a preventative, prophylactic treatment for preserving equipment.

Whether:

a) There is any appetite for the VMD to take someone to court for using them in this manner.

b) Whether they would win.

Who knows ? ...Certainly,whether a hobbyist is likely to be brought to Court is debateable.

If you were to take this to a logical progression - where does the protection of equipment with a proprietary product become a licensing matter. I treat my stands with Sadolin to prevent them deteriorating from weathering and wood eating insects, I paint my polystyrene hives to stop them deteriorating - I wash my hive tools in washing soda and if they ever need it use Cilit Bang to clean the inside of my poly hives and kill any bacteria prior to storage.

Where do you stop and where does common sense prevail ?

Dipel and Zentari are both natural treatments - the Bacillus is a naemoatode - it infects the wax moth grub at a very early stage and prevents it developing, ultimately killing it in the same way naemoatodes used in the garden will safely and naturally kill slugs.

There are times when I rather think the VMD should get a grip of these issues, step up and accept that products like this are extensively used and provide a free from license guidance for their use. I have a similar issue with generic OA by sublimation ... the law is an ass sometimes.

i have been throught the process of freezing and then storing with a plastic sheet or divider between supers...this year i stored wet with a sheet between supers and had a look mid winter and they looked ok

Well ... the jury's out ... the argument is that you are treating frames that are NOT in the hive for wax moth ... you are not treating the bees for a disease/infestation. So, although they are not licensed treatments, even as a non treater, I take the view that they do not need licensing as long as they are not used within an active hive but as a preventative, prophylactic treatment for preserving equipment.

Whether:

a) There is any appetite for the VMD to take someone to court for using them in this manner.

b) Whether they would win.

Who knows ? ...Certainly,whether a hobbyist is likely to be brought to Court is debateable.

If you were to take this to a logical progression - where does the protection of equipment with a proprietary product become a licensing matter. I treat my stands with Sadolin to prevent them deteriorating from weathering and wood eating insects, I paint my polystyrene hives to stop them deteriorating - I wash my hive tools in washing soda and if they ever need it use Cilit Bang to clean the inside of my poly hives and kill any bacteria prior to storage.

Where do you stop and where does common sense prevail ?

Dipel and Zentari are both natural treatments - the Bacillus is a naemoatode - it infects the wax moth grub at a very early stage and prevents it developing, ultimately killing it in the same way naemoatodes used in the garden will safely and naturally kill slugs.

There are times when I rather think the VMD should get a grip of these issues, step up and accept that products like this are extensively used and provide a free from license guidance for their use. I have a similar issue with generic OA by sublimation ... the law is an ass sometimes.
Didn't know that!!! I've used nematodes for leather jackets in my lawn a few years ago

Dipel and Zentari are both natural treatments - the Bacillus is a naemoatode - it infects the wax moth grub at a very early stage and prevents it developing, ultimately killing it in the same way naemoatodes used in the garden will safely and naturally kill slugs..

Dipel is Bacillus thuringiensis - a bacterium, not a nematode (round worm). The latter is used for parasitising slugs eg Nemaslug.

Dipel is Bacillus thuringiensis - a bacterium, not a nematode

Indeed so. From memory it becomes active in the caterpillar's gut once eaten and produces toxic compounds that break down the gut walls thereby causing the caterpillar to starve to death.

I've also read that there are some moths and butterflies that are developing immunity to the toxins involved which may have some bearing on why a licence is required to use the products and possibly contributes to the lack of interest in making them available to anyone else.

James

Usually store my frames dry over winter and have had just the odd wax moth, this winter ,encouraged by articles on this site, I thought I'd try storing them wet and had the worst moth problem I've ever had.......whats that all about then ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
ps. Burning sulphur strips soon sorted it out.

Usually store my frames dry over winter and have had just the odd wax moth, this winter ,encouraged by articles on this site, I thought I'd try storing them wet and had the worst moth problem I've ever had.......whats that all about then ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
how did you store them? I never open the stack up until it's time to put them back on the hives to be honest, never found much of a problem with moths

how did you store them? I never open the stack up until it's time to put them back on the hives to be honest, never found much of a problem with moths
Outside, 5 at a time , on old milk crates,with board beneath,board above and topped off with roof and concrete block holding it all down.

Didn't know that!!! I've used nematodes for leather jackets in my lawn a few years ago
Just for information - It is actually a Gram positive, spore-forming bacterium - Bacillus thuringiensis - which produces a toxin than kills the wax moth larvae (but is not thought to harm the honey bee larvae). Nematodes are worms. Hope that is useful.

Just for information - It is actually a Gram positive, spore-forming bacterium - Bacillus thuringiensis - which produces a toxin than kills the wax moth larvae (but is not thought to harm the honey bee larvae). Nematodes are worms. Hope that is useful.
I stand corrected ... same effect though ... kills the little beggars !

Yes, it's a right pain. I stored my supers wet for years with no problem and then I lost a lot so started treating to be certain.

Latest posts

Back