Wax moth prevention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What do people do/ use to stop wax moth destroying their stored comb( no I haven’t got a big freezer or place to put one 👍) . I am fed up of the the little blighters…..

What do people do/ use to stop wax moth destroying their stored comb( no I haven’t got a big freezer or place to put one 👍) . I am fed up of the the little blighters…..
I spray each frame with DiPel before storing dry in sealed boxes or a sealed room. Make sure DiPel has dried or frames go mouldy. Had no moth since I started doing it this way

I'm definitely going to treat before the winter this year had a few issues as well

Quite expensive. That size of we only have 4 hives?
There is something called Xentari which might be an alternative but both it and Dipel are not licensed and there has been much discussion about the legality of both.
I might be wrong but I think you can get Certan in the EU if you have contacts there

We've just got a 4 draw freezer as part of a fridge/freezer and just condensed the food to two draws to coincide with extraction and then freeze treated them in batches, put them back into supers and put them inside heavy duty bin bags. Opened one up so far this year and all good except a bit of cracking on the mid rib which hopefully the bees will repair. Not sure if that's down to the initial freezing or temperatures afterwards.

There is something called Xentari which might be an alternative but both it and Dipel are not licensed and there has been much discussion about the legality of both.
I might be wrong but I think you can get Certan in the EU if you have contacts there
You can get it here straight off the shelf down here. Just looked at the MSDS and it is listed there as a Class 1A Hazard.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-40g-natures-way-caterpillar-killer-dipel-insecticide_p2961898

Last edited:
We've just got a 4 draw freezer as part of a fridge/freezer and just condensed the food to two draws to coincide with extraction and then freeze treated them in batches, put them back into supers and put them inside heavy duty bin bags. Opened one up so far this year and all good except a bit of cracking on the mid rib which hopefully the bees will repair. Not sure if that's down to the initial freezing or temperatures afterwards.
You need to get down to minus 18 degrees C to effectively kill wax moth eggs and larvae ... so check the temp of your freezer and if it doesn't get down that low you may need to keep an eye on your stored frames ....

I'd not be surprised if most modern freezers are factory set to -18°C, though how accurately they maintain that temperature is open to question. I think ours all came set that way.

James

Oh right, why is it not licenced are there risks to using it?

Just read class a hazard, that'll do it!!!

Back