Comb storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If humans have given ourselves a safe supply system outside of natural sources, if in other livestock activities we provide animals with water under control, my question is why would be different in beekeeping.
If open feeding is a bad practice, then we must change the water management system in beekeeping.
I've read this thread with incredulity. From time to time we get some weird theories expounded by newcomers and some not so new. We even get "entertained by" trolls and the occasional lunatic. I'll let others decide which category your ideas belong in and ignore the BS

I've read this thread with incredulity. From time to time we get some weird theories expounded by newcomers and some not so new. We even get "entertained by" trolls and the occasional lunatic. I'll let others decide which category your ideas belong in and ignore the BS
No bees to play with so some minds wander, particularly if there is a new platform to explore 😉

I stopped reading it. Been away for a couple of days, curiosity got the better of me though.

As if the water was not used at least in three points.
A. Dilution of honey
B. Manufacture of royal jelly.
C. Evaporation to lower the temperature of the nest.
In the critical situation of high temperatures/drought, point c becomes relevant by being able to spread the virus/bacteria housed in microdrops of steam throughout the entire colony 😱.
The last point is another free statement without any scientific endorsement.

None of which relate to how open access to a water source acts to spread disease from one colony to another. How water might spread disease around a colony is a completely different issue.

James

If open feeding is a bad practice, then we must change the water management system in beekeeping.
That seems like a rather tall order...

I think there are other objections (as if any were needed) to open feeding (and I'm still interested in reports of fighting over open honey. I haven't seen it despite a few accidental open feeding events. It doesn't strike me as a good evolutionary strategy).

The main one, to my mind, is that bees from all around learn that easy honey might be found in this location; and that that might set off robbing of hives.

Strange how it's gone from needing to use google translate to conversing in a perfectly grammatically correct diatribe
I'm still using Google translate, copying the translated text into the post.
If your biggest criticism is the way of publishing and not the actual content of the post then I will be completely grateful for your attitude ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still using Google translate, copying the translated text into the post.
If your biggest criticism is the way of publishing and not the actual content of the post then I will be completely grateful for your attitude ☺️
The first post you received when joining the forum was from a member welcoming you. Your immediate reply was not to thank them but to criticize their grammar.

When they apologised for their mistake, you promptly criticized the grammar of their apology!
That sort of nit picking was never going to bode well. 😕

89 posts into this thread I'm surprised anyone still has the will to live let alone try to offer a reasoned response. Flogging a dead horse comes to mind although I don't know what Google translate will make of that. 😳

I'm afraid that, if you post suggestions that are not considered good practice, you can expect to face criticism.

I think sometimes we have to remember that what is not considered 'good practice' in one country is fine in another. Blanket criticism of a method from another country while failing to understand their geography and local beekeeping rules or practices is IMO not fair.

Open feeding is not horrible in all situations, it is quite fine if you are isolated and control disease. Granted the UK is very dense in population and probably is frowned upon for that reason, where I live, not so much and possibly that also applies to where fan lives. Beekeeping is local.

Has anyone tried what the do in Ukraine putting wood ash on the frames before storing?
No, it's pointless.

Covered loads of times on these boards; stick them outside stacked 10 or so high and wrap in packing film. I place a ply board top/mid/bottom and have 100's stored in this way, all wet.

They keep fine, any mouldy frames the bees sort in spring.

All good.

The idea of storing dry frames appeals to me too, although I realise that storing them wet may have advantages and that the bees will accept them whatever. But whilst covering them in ash may carry some proven benefits, it seems the most unpleasant solution of all.
This year I had an incident where overnight, the wind blew the ply cover off a couple of boxes of wet, extracted frames. I didn't fancy interfering when the bees mobbed them, and although it felt very naughty to leave them to it I was very pleased to retrieve the cleaned frames in the evening. Twenty or thirty bees died in the process and who knows who caught what disease and from whom, but the world of beekeeping didn't end. ;)

I normally store mine in a brood box inside a bin liner sealed to stop anything getting in .Never had any problems yet.

I think sometimes we have to remember that what is not considered 'good practice' in one country is fine in another. Blanket criticism of a method from another country while failing to understand their geography and local beekeeping rules or practices is IMO not fair.

Open feeding is not horrible in all situations, it is quite fine if you are isolated and control disease. Granted the UK is very dense in population and probably is frowned upon for that reason, where I live, not so much and possibly that also applies to where fan lives. Beekeeping is local.

Some of us are also very interested in the ways that people manage bees in other places than our own locality. Recently, it's been interesting to read the input from new or newish contributors such as @fian from outside the UK, even if some of their methods or opinions don't match with accepted practise in this country.

Also good to see they can hold their own in debate without resorting to derisive comment, and can even argue amongst themselves just as well as the worst of us. ;)

What isn't known is if opening feeding is universally excepted in Spain even if one believes they are remote from other colonies .

# 97 is one good reason not to.

Fian do you have SHB in Spain ?
If so one good reason never to open feed.
No, in Spain there is no record of the presence of small hive beetles.
We have more than enough varroa and velutina (Asian hornet).

Latest posts

Back