Wax moth prevention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this stuff definitely harmless to bees

Definitely.
I think it's not available any more but there are alternatives. Names escape me but somebody else will know.
This year I have sprayed all my supers even though I store wet. Just a quick spray between the frames. It's been a strange year for lots of pests (wasps, caterpillars, squirrels, rats! ). Some of the supers have had brood in them and there is a bit of pollen in some of the frames so I'm taking no chances. Adding a divider between every two boxes in storage

not available any more but there are alternatives. Names escape me
Dipel is available from ProGreen but Bruco (same supplier) is currently out of stock.

Both are BtK (Bacillus thuringiensis Kurstaki) and specific to moths and no other insect. Make sure to buy BtK as other strains deal with other insects. It isn't cheap and is too much to use in the two years it is said to be effective, but you could re-package it in smaller amounts and sell on to other beekeepers. When mixed it is active for up to 12 hours; I use one teaspoon to one litre.

Dipel is available from ProGreen but Bruco (same supplier) is currently out of stock.

Both are BtK (Bacillus thuringiensis Kurstaki) and specific to moths and no other insect. Make sure to buy BtK as other strains deal with other insects. It isn't cheap and is too much to use in the two years it is said to be effective, but you could re-package it in smaller amounts and sell on to other beekeepers. When mixed it is active for up to 12 hours; I use one teaspoon to one litre.
Presumably, like Kerry at Abelo says of Apivar - freezing it would prolong it's shelf life?

What do people do/ use to stop wax moth destroying their stored comb( no I haven’t got a big freezer or place to put one 👍) . I am fed up of the the little blighters…..
My take on the problem is__ The moths do their thing during May, June and July so if the supers are on the hives during this time I rarely have a problem, store wet with a sheet of newspaper between each box, where they get daylight if possible

Latest posts

Back