Wasp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Doing an inspection yesterday, there was a wasp hovering in front of the hive, couldn't get the blighter though. Seems early to me in this part of the world for wasps.

I checked my wasp trap the other day and found about 20 queen wasps and a few worker wasps.

Seen a few round the hives the last couple of weeks, can`t say i remember seeing them this time last year.

buzz

we have hundreds of paper wasps out and about - around hives, investigating nest sites in roof tiles, chewing any wood they can find.
destroyed 3 nests so far - 1, 3 and 15 cells resp. (the latter in my top bar nuc bait hive).
first sting 28th march.

I checked my wasp trap the other day and found about 20 queen wasps and a few worker wasps.

I had a wasp hanging about a few days ago.

What are you using as a trap, the usual mixture of jam and vinegar in a plastic bottle?

I had a wasp hanging about a few days ago.

What are you using as a trap, the usual mixture of jam and vinegar in a plastic bottle?

Here is a pic of my trap and I use pieces of pear and plum, mixed in sugar syrup. I don't put my wasp trap anywhere near my hive because when the bees defend the hive the wasp flies away and doesn't go into the trap. So I put my traps about 100 meters away from the hive.

Last edited:
lifted the roof off one hive yesturday and within 30sec had a juicy Queen wasp buzzing around. she was very very juicy as i squished her between my fingers when she landed on the crown board!

lifted the roof off one hive yesturday and within 30sec had a juicy Queen wasp buzzing around. she was very very juicy as i squished her between my fingers when she landed on the crown board!

I've squashed a few juicy ones too over the last few days. Also found a dead bumble bee inside a hive checked yesterday - I thought this was very odd, it's a really strong colony with a reduced entrance - why on earth would they let a bumblebee in and why would it want to come in?

Wouldn't that leave the queen wasp pheromone in your hive? Killing her away from the hive my be better.

I watched a big fat wasp amble into one of the hives this weekend. Five minutes later she was womanhandled out by four or five bees and thrown to the ground. They hung around on the landing board talking about it for a while then disappeared back inside......job done.

Anyone killing wasps at this time of the season is a stupid person because they are mostly interested in catching small flying insects and not the contents of a beehive.

Anyone killing wasps at this time of the season is a stupid person because they are mostly interested in catching small flying insects and not the contents of a beehive.

Any wasps around at this time of the season are likely to be queen wasps that will go on to potentially raise hundreds of lovely baby wasps that WILL show a definite interest in your hives.

Any wasps around at this time of the season are likely to be queen wasps that will go on to potentially raise hundreds of lovely baby wasps that WILL show a definite interest in your hives.

Anyone killing a queen wasp at this time potentially deprives the local ecosystem of perhaps a few thousand wasps. Anyone killing lots of queen wasps potentially deprives the ecosytem of many thousands of wasps. These are wasps that, for the most part, will not take any interest in someones beehives. Instead, wasp catch many thousands of tiny flying insects in their life to feed to their young. The only wasps that show an interest in beehives are the ones at the end of the summer that become free agents after the death of the nest - a smallish proportion of all the wasps produced in the life cycle of a wasp nest.

And who says that any queen wasp killed would have gone on to actually nest in the district in which it was killed.

Only dumb ass, paranoid cretins who do not understand the natural history of wasps would, I think, be fixated with the idea of killing queen wasps at this time of the year. It reminds me a little of the beekeeper in Italy who put poison under his hives to kill a black bear that was showing an interst in his hives, only the bear was one of only a handful remaining in the wild in Italy.

Surely we as beekeepers, who are supposed to understand and value insects, should be the last people who should be on some hair-brained crusade to exterminate wasp queens in spring.

And anyway, it is only the crap beekeepers who get wasp trouble. The ones who in late summer do not close down entrances soon enough, the ones who spill honey or syrup about their apiary, the ones who manipulate at precisely the wrong time, the greedy ones who want to raise a batch of late nucs, etc.

And if someone likes bees, how can they not admire wasps?

Only dumb ass, paranoid cretins who do not understand the natural history of wasps would, I think, be fixated with the idea of killing queen wasps at this time of the year. ?

I think there is a difference between killing wasps that are bothering a beehive in late summer/early Autumn - as wasps do - but anyone on a crusade to kill queen wasps in spring is quite probably paranoid and is quite probably a dumb ass cretin that doesn't understand the natural history of the common wasp.

Personally, I have never set wasp traps in late summer, but I would not condemn a beekeeper that does.

Latest posts

Back