Wasps nibbling polyhive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In early October I was dismayed to see a frenzy of wasps around the top of one of my two poly-hives. The colony had been strong and is headed by a 2022 queen.They seemed to be entering the hive beneath a syrup feeder which I had topped up a week earlier. Examination showed that the wasps had nibbled the unpainted poly-feeder to create several tunnels. I removed the feeder and could see several wasps within the hive. Nibbling has previously happened on the opposing edges of my poly supers.

Attachments

• 261D23BA-3276-4B4B-86A2-9E8D188F1B82.jpeg
    261D23BA-3276-4B4B-86A2-9E8D188F1B82.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 7B734866-54B2-42CB-A9D9-2F8137955D41.jpeg
    7B734866-54B2-42CB-A9D9-2F8137955D41.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
In early October I was dismayed to see a frenzy of wasps around the top of one of my two poly-hives. The colony had been strong and is headed by a 2022 queen.They seemed to be entering the hive beneath a syrup feeder which I had topped up a week earlier. Examination showed that the wasps had nibbled the unpainted poly-feeder to create several tunnels. I removed the feeder and could see several wasps within the hive. Nibbling has previously happened on the opposing edges of my poly supers.
I had the same thing happen last year and used gaffer tape to wrap around the feeder to thwart the wasps.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem, but by painting the inside of the feeder tray it stops syrup soaking into the poly which is what attracts wasps from the outside.
I had similar with one of my mentees, he hadn't painted the Paynes polynuc side feeder and wasps were just starting to burrow. He used aluminium tape around the feeder because he was going away for a week, it certainly resolved the problem.

I had a similar problem, but by painting the inside of the feeder tray it stops syrup soaking into the poly which is what attracts wasps from the outside.
What paint do you use for the inside of the feeder - same masonry paint that is advised for the outside surfaces?

Latest posts

Back