hornet attacking bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely Vespa crabro. Nothing else that yellow and noisy.
Lovely.
I watched one taking bees off the asters flowering in the garden.
yup

and their numbers aren't that great i believe which is probably further challenged by people squashing in fear they may be the asian variety, but these should be left and enjoyed

I almost caught a European last Thursday I want a specimen which I want to use for demonstrations .
Why? A video is an excellent way to show how it looks and flies and still pictures will do just as well.
Unless you know how to preserve it properly it will quickly cease to resemble the living wasp anyway.

I picked a European Hornet out of a wasp trap in 2018. Not common to see them here.
Took it inside to measure it so I could reduce the size of the hole in the trap so I didn't kill any more. Used my calipers on the head and thorax.
Imagine my surprise when it got up and walked away.

Saw them around my hives but they were more attracted to the wasps in the trap.

(btw. nest was destroyed in the roof of an end of terrace 300m away by a pest controller. They were coming down into the lady's bedroom. They had to go. Even in 2018 the guy was aware to check whether it was a yellow legged hornet.)

IMGP20180815-01-crop.jpg

Last edited:
yesterday

pretty sure it is a european hornet but was definitely in front of hives trying to catch bees and saw it eating a wasp

will try and upload video
Hornets will hawk the front of hives and take bees, it’s not uncommon and I don’t begrudge them a few. Realistically it’s nothing to worry about!

I've released a number of hornets (crabro) from my trap in the garden each morning. A couple of weeks a go, four were waiting for me one morning.

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_121131188.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230818_121131188.MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
I've released a number of hornets (crabro) from my trap in the garden each morning. A couple of weeks a go, four were waiting for me one morning.
I have one Waspbane next to a small nuc. I was catching them last year so this year all the entrances have been reduced with Canadian cone escapes and the hornets are not getting in.

I have one Waspbane next to a small nuc. I was catching them last year so this year all the entrances have been reduced with Canadian cone escapes and the hornets are not getting in.
I'm using these traps because of AH in my immediate area. I think the access to the trap for crabro and velutina is likely to be similar.

quite a difference in size between the two - Velutina is not much bigger than a wasp
I've asked on the hornet page because it would be good to be able to exclude our hornet yet still trap AH
Maybe Karen would know....I'll ask there

Latest posts

Back