Wasp traps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you rented the space did that deny access to students to that space thereafter? And did that rental include equipment or did your funding pay for entirely new equipment that you used?

Bloomsbury square for instance in the 90s had several floors of labs that students had permanent access to. The last time I visited two years ago the students were confined to the basement and first floor. The rest of the building placed beyond limits purely for research.

However your research was funded and accounted for it was nevertheless subsidised at the expense of students. The imbalance in equity in the financial statements atests to that.

So what proportion of your neuroscience graduates have/get careers in neuroscience bearing in mind that BSc grads may well carry up to what circa £50k debt when they finish and your MSc grads circa £70k debt?

Wellcome Foundation grants require dissemination of research (after the IP has been cherry picked) so it's arguable that such lectures were 'free' if they were a condition of the grant that paid your salary.

When you rented the space did that deny access to students to that space thereafter?

Right I've had enough of your tomfoolery and loaded questions. Last reply from me on the subject.
Would you give general access to the Public or Students to wander freely through working laboratories with highly expensive and sensitive equipment (bought on your grant money) and dangerous chemicals?
Short answer is you would be a total fool if you did, bit like being a fool for asking such a stupid question in the first place.
Students are not denied access to these areas, they just need a valid reason to visit them. Seminar/Tutorial/Visit tutor/do research project etc etc.

Anything published is freely available to anyone one else who needs it. Including designer genes/ plasmids/transgenic mice etc etc .Intellectual copyright is protected. i.e a recipient has to acknowledge the source of the freely give material in any of their future research papers. They can't claim they made them.

Might be worth you remembering that Universities have always been centers of research as well as centers of excellence for teaching....Look at the world league tables of Universities where 5 of the top 10 are in the UK including UCL. How can you get a better education than by being taught by world experts in their field at a university?
Glad nearly all rational people don't hold your twitter and bisted view point on academic teaching.
Right enough is enough.
Like several other sentiments role on midnight...I'll get my glass slipper out.

Last edited:
So the real difficult questions go unanswered. Is it about 50% of students on your degree course that don't get a job in their field at the end of their degree? In which case why not halve the number of students that you take. Oh, I forget. Much better to miss sell your degree courses to ensure maximum number of bums on seats for minimum outlay so that a few highly paid and privileged individuals sitting in their lavish ivory towers can tell us how much better they are than snake skin oil sellers that have a vested clandestine interest behind the advice they give out for free for people to take or leave as they choose.

So is that all degree courses period - no good, waste of money. Cambridge is rubbish, Imperial crap; York for wasters.

There is an element of truth in what you say with some University courses - not the Universities fault - its the government policy of having 50% of youngsters going to University.

You generalise so much and conflate so many things that you really make no sense but alternative facts are fashionable so you may get some traction with some people particularly if they know no better.

You have no response to a reasoned argument so you start talking about something else to confuse the issue and avoid accepting that your stance is quite simply, at best, too simplified and at worst is nonsense - remember this thread is meant to be about wasp traps.

The degree course you did (even if it was 9-5 which it should not because the whole point is you develop the ability to think and learn independently. I have never come across anybody whose degree course did these hours ever but ah hoo) was certainly a waste of somebodies money as its not given you any appreciable analytical skills.

Most people who know better simply give up which is what you want - VICTORY !!!!!

Last edited:
Is it about 50% of students on your degree course that don't get a job in their field at the end of their degree?

This has always been the case - most people do not actually use the degree subject they studied.

I'm off to bed..can't stand this midnight suspense :)
Here's the slipper.

glassslippercropped.jpg

Last edited:
The best bait for wasp traps in my local area appears to be fish.
I used a small piece of raw cod.

I've tried meat, beer, sugar, and fish.
The fish won.
However it does get a bit smelly after a few days.

A repost to the carp equip? Very subtle - made me laugh!

:winner1st:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back