Wasp Traps - Experiment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Eric (enrico) - so they duly arrived and got myself some z(c)ider (hick burp)

so if I cut a slit in a 2 litre water bottle and insert the yellow plastic thing ... they dont really sit securely ... is there a knack ?

Yes! I cut a cross and I find it is best on the main body of the bottle just as it starts to curve towards the neck. Occasionally they still don't sit nicely so I just trim the point s off at the centre of the cross I cut. If you slot the bottom in then the top just clips into place. They don't have to be that secure.
Goose luck. Let me know how you get on!!
E

Wasp trap

Some interesting points - thank you.
I also enjoy you have backed up your points with a insightful blog.

POSTED THIS EARLIER THIS YEAR, NOT CHECKED IT YET FOR WASPS

Saw something similar to this wasp trap on the Internet so thought I would make one and give it a try, has anyone else used something similar ?
I suppose one thing is, you aren't actually attracting the wasps with some sort of bait !

The brood box with open mesh floor sits on top of this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
POSTED THIS EARLIER THIS YEAR, NOT CHECKED IT YET FOR WASPS

I saw those when they first came out. It seems a good way of trapping wasps but what do you do with them then? I'm also a bit concerned about all those live wasps directly under a hive. Too many concerns for me.

I saw those when they first came out. It seems a good way of trapping wasps but what do you do with them then? I'm also a bit concerned about all those live wasps directly under a hive. Too many concerns for me.

Using the hive as bait ? Doesn't look like a sensible option to me .. if the wasps have got this far the chances are they will go for the hive entrance.

but what do you do with them then? I'm also a bit concerned about all those live wasps directly under a hive. .
I was thinking the same P..i suppose the trap could be left in place till they die but i bet you have a load of angry bees above all the wasps below..

of bait !

The brood box with open mesh floor sits on top of this.
They are quite effective and will also double as Asian Hornet traps with a slightly larger coned entrance.
The only downside is the regular removal of inside box and killing the wasps.

Are you using tunnel entrances?

I use a short tunnel entrance. I make my own floors but migrate so they need to fit a national footprint. I'll be modifying the floors over winter to form a longer tunnel.

These are 14*12 boxes full of bees reduced down to <1" square entrances

Latest posts

Back