Wasp nest 1.2m from Hive Entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
As the title suggests, I have a busy wasp nest, 1.2 metres from a hive entrance. The nest is in the ground. Currently the wasps are not bothering the bees, however I am sure the wasps will become more troublesome when they all vacate the nest - which will be soon.

Any ideas how I can destroy the wasp nest without affecting my bees.

Thanks

That is a awkward one with it being so close because you do not want any treated wasps getting near your bees as they will spread the insecticide, if i was in that situation i would treat them with bendiocarb or ant powder by filling the entrance of the wasp nest with the said insecticide and block the hole up so the wasps can not get back out, it would have to be done in the dark though.

Plastic funnel in the hole, pour in a cup full of petrol remove funnel & light (by striking & throwing the match) don't lean over it.
Or depending on ground suit up and dig. Good blast of any fliers with co2 fire extinguisher
Wingy

Don't do the petrol thing! Ever!
The vapours can cling to your clothes and people die lighting fires and BBQs with petrol.

It ain't worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plastic funnel in the hole, pour in a cup full of petrol remove funnel & light (by striking & throwing the match) don't lean over it.
Or depending on ground suit up and dig. Good blast of any fliers with co2 fire extinguisher
Wingy
That is the worst possible thing to do, you have basically made the wasps homeless which also means food less, which means they will attempt to raid any available food source quicker and in numbers which is not a good idea with it being so close, killing them below ground during the dark hours will avoid any unneeded risks.

As the title suggests, I have a busy wasp nest, 1.2 metres from a hive entrance. The nest is in the ground. Currently the wasps are not bothering the bees, however I am sure the wasps will become more troublesome when they all vacate the nest - which will be soon.

Any ideas how I can destroy the wasp nest without affecting my bees.

Thanks

Pour petrol in it and add match stick..

Exactly think it was last year maybe year before that a Doctor, so an intelligent and educated person, tried to light a garden bonfire with petrol. It burnt but so did he and he died 24-48 hours later of third degree burns.

Do not be stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pour the petrol in at dusk after the wasps have gone to bed. Block the hole with some soil. Do not light it, that is stupid!! The petrol vapor will kill the wasps overnight

The above is sound advice, why some need to be pyromaniacs is a mystery. Pour a pint or two of petrol into the hole when its dark, cover with a lagge plastic bag, sheet of metal, sod of earth ...whatever and job done.

There are wasp nest killing products out there, the one I used is a foam which sprayed into the nest after dark which sorts them but no issues to bees.

We always use ant powder to kill wasp nests in the ground , very effective will be dead in a few hours.

Get some on a spoon and put it down the hole, cover with a brick or similar. Best done as late as possible in the evening or very early in the morning whilst they are in bed.

Not as dodgy as using Cymag in the old days !!

Do you really need to kill them?
Are they bothering your hives?
We had a very active wasp nest in the ground about 5 metres from our hives last year.
The hives were strong and the wasps didn't bother them at all.
The wasps left at the end of the summer and the nest has remained empty this year.
Wasps are important pollinators too, but I'm sure you know that already. ;)

We always use ant powder to kill wasp nests in the ground , very effective will be dead in a few hours.

Get some on a spoon and put it down the hole, cover with a brick or similar. Best done as late as possible in the evening or very early in the morning whilst they are in bed.

Not as dodgy as using Cymag in the old days !!

'Tis, done. Thanks for your help and advice. Decided to use ant powder - put a lid full down the hole, covered the hole with a towel and placed a block over the towel.

'Tis, done. Thanks for your help and advice. Decided to use ant powder - put a lid full down the hole, covered the hole with a towel and placed a block over the towel.

Easy peazy Lemon Squeezy , i have reluctantly done several over the years (not bee related) however that method does the job.;)

I found a wasp nest a few mteres from my hives in the bank of a stream last year or may have been year before. Anyway, decided to leave it & see what happened. Popped a few wasp traps up & it was never an issue.

Out of interest: I have an active wasp nest above the double glazed bathroom window frame, top floor of semi. They look to be going into the box barge board (usually where you get birds nests) above the window. I have left them alone for now, as they are not near my hives,however, once they change diet then they may become a pest around my patio/garden table as we eat outside as much as possible (below the nest). Due to poor access to the nest i.e. up a ladder and through a small entrance hole, it is not going to be easy to apply any powder etc. Maybe a blast of B and Q nest killer through a tube at night? What do the experts think? I was thinking of leaving them if I can and blocking holes once they have gone/died off in winter? Hope I haven't hijacked this thread.

My friend found a good method of doing it. He lost control of his model aircraft which crashed at full tilt into a wasps nest. The fuel tank burst on impact which wiped out the nest pretty effectively.

The downsides of the above approach is that is wastes a rather expensive model plane and it takes quite a bit of skill to actually hit the target at sufficient speed to rupture the fuel tank.

If you hit the ground where the nest is without rupturing the fuel tank the wasps register their protest rather vigorously. This is not much fun.

Latest posts

Back