Wasps in Bait Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
Hi Peeps,
I have a poly nuc bait hive - two tier, upper tier frames of foundation and drawn comb, lower tier empty.
I have a wasp nest in it about ten metres away from my hives.
How would you deal with it, getting rid of the wasps but not contaminating the poly or the frames....?
I need to deal with it ASAP as the wasps are already very plentiful and a nuisance round the house too.
Thanks in anticipation
Poot

Hi Peeps,
I have a poly nuc bait hive - two tier, upper tier frames of foundation and drawn comb, lower tier empty.
How would you deal with it, getting rid of the wasps but not contaminating the poly or the frames....?
I need to deal with it ASAP as the wasps are already very plentiful and a nuisance round the house too.
Thanks in anticipation
Poot
If they're not harming anyone - just leave them until the nest dies out

Bait hives in all likelihood redundant this time of season I’d just take apart and remove nest. Maybe use a hose to destroy, hive and frames can be left to dry.

If they're not harming anyone - just leave them until the nest dies out
I need to prevent them harming. Last year a nest just across the road caused a cyclist a real problem when wasps leaving the nest got into his jersey. He was training for Iron Man and it wasn’t pretty. There are dozens of them around the house.

it never is

It's not just the training. Someone who is occasionally in my lane at the pool went over to Spain a couple of weeks back to compete in one there. He said the 2.8 mile swim wasn't too bad, but then he had the 112 mile bike ride and a marathon to run and for most of it the temperature apparently didn't get below 35°C. Took him a smidge under fourteen and a half hours in the end.

James

If you do need to get rid of them tonight.
You didn't say how the nest is attached.
If the nest is attached to the bottom bars of the frames, then lift the upper box and place it in a way that you can get access to the nest from one side. Then in the evening, have a black refuse bag in a gloved hand and lift up around the nest. Normally there is only one anchor point for the nest, scrunch the bag around the anchor point and pull the nest away. You can either step on the bag and squash the nest or tie the top of the bag and place in the freezer for a couple of days. They may all be dead or a few remaining which should be easy to dispose of in your bin after stepping on them

If you do need to get rid of them tonight.
You didn't say how the nest is attached.
If the nest is attached to the bottom bars of the frames, then lift the upper box and place it in a way that you can get access to the nest from one side. Then in the evening, have a black refuse bag in a gloved hand and lift up around the nest. Normally there is only one anchor point for the nest, scrunch the bag around the anchor point and pull the nest away. You can either step on the bag and squash the nest or tie the top of the bag and place in the freezer for a couple of days. They may all be dead or a few remaining which should be easy to dispose of in your bin after stepping on them
I’m not sure how or where the nest is in the box yet. I intend to kit up and have a peer into it through the clear plastic crown board and devise a way of dealing with it. I get what you’ve suggested and it could well be the way forward without using chemicals.
Thanks

Hi Peeps,
Thanks in anticipation
Poot
Here's a possible solution. Do you want to use thepolynuc afterwards?

I bought two of these on Ebay.
25 quid for two!
Wasps hate them but so does everything else.
Indiscriminate.

If you have a larger box you can put the whole polynuc in you could put a fireproof container of burning sulphur in with them - suitably away from the nuc. The sulphur dioxide produced will kill them.

Latest posts

Back