warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesknee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + nucs
Hello every one, Making a new warming cabinet from a freezer unit, what is the best thermostat to use, I know it has been on the forum before but I cannot find it. many thanks in anticipation.

Thanks Brian

Hello every one, Making a new warming cabinet from a freezer unit, what is the best thermostat to use, I know it has been on the forum before but I cannot find it. many thanks in anticipation.

Thanks Brian

eBay item number:

STC 1000 240 V with 2 outputs... £7.00 ish
Made in China but you will get it quicker from a UK seller
rated at 10A will run a couple of 40Watt light bulbs.

Others will recommend other simple plug and play units designed for green houses etc
The STC 1000 works and is cheap enough to throw away if it ceases to function ( We have some that must be 10+ years old running queen rearing incubators)

KIS

Chons da

eBay item number:

STC 1000 240 V with 2 outputs... £7.00 ish
Made in China but you will get it quicker from a UK seller
rated at 10A will run a couple of 40Watt light bulbs.

Others will recommend other simple plug and play units designed for green houses etc
The STC 1000 works and is cheap enough to throw away if it ceases to function ( We have some that must be 10+ years old running queen rearing incubators)

KIS

Chons da
Thanks for that

Use a proper heater. Light bulbs are not really safe. But your choice.

If they get dripped on, they will go pop. Then potentially live elements when you go to the box. Light fittings are not liquid proof either - outside lights should always be enclosed. Lighting circuits are not earthed. They will burn you if you touch them.

Just get a decent tubular heater, waterproof, earthed and not excessively hot surfaces. Or a soil warming cable. Just not light bulbs!

I use a lidl jam maker for one ten litre bucket at a time (might take a 12 1/2 or even 15l of some makes) these days. Water is a far better heat transfer medium than air, so faster to melt.

Just in the process of constructing a heating cabinet myself. I’ve opted for Elitech E-1000 units, these allow for a fan unit to be connected to the unit. Not being one to purchase from Flea Bay (been burnt too many times) purchased direct from Elitech.

Be warned there are some bloody lethal tubular heaters out there.. some even have a CE mark!

With the ST1000 unit rated at 10A you could switch up to 2.8KW
Two 40W filament bulbs will draw around 1% of that, keeping the switching current nice and low so that the AC contacts are not sparked out rapidly.

My warming cabinet ( an old upright freezer ) has two 40 Watt filament bulbs with a 220V "computer" fan to move air over them and around cabinet.
The bulbs are housed within a mesh cage and can not be touched as can get quite hot.
Have tried the tubular heaters over the years.... light bulbs are by a country mile cheaper to replace and if one fails the heat stays on!

Of course common sense dictates that if you are not competent with electricity, get a qualified electrician to check it over before you plug it in!

( No1 son has just completed the 18th Edition exam... practical and theory.... and takes a keen interest in my little projects... trumps my ancient 14Th eds... was all red black and green back then!!!!)

Chons da

Use a proper heater. Light bulbs are not really safe. But your choice.

If they get dripped on, they will go pop. Then potentially live elements when you go to the box. Light fittings are not liquid proof either - outside lights should always be enclosed. Lighting circuits are not earthed. They will burn you if you touch them.

Just get a decent tubular heater, waterproof, earthed and not excessively hot surfaces. Or a soil warming cable. Just not light bulbs!

I use a lidl jam maker for one ten litre bucket at a time (might take a 12 1/2 or even 15l of some makes) these days. Water is a far better heat transfer medium than air, so faster to melt.

I replaced my warming cabinet with one of these. Much easier and does a better job.

I agree with RAB and others - tubular heater is the sensible, safe option
You can now get a prewired STC 1000 thermostat so no wiring required, you just plug your tubular heater into it and away you go

I use a Hausen tubular heater, good up to 60 degrees before cutting out - in a variety of sizes to fit your freezer.
Both are available on ebay, slightly more than the ebay cheapest but well worth it.

solwayfeeders.com/clearance-sale/stainless-steel-incubator-heating-element-125watt-/
(currently closed because of the pandemic)

I use a couple of these plus a small 230v fan, all individually switchable and all hooked up to an STC1000

This is exactly what I have ended up doing and it works a treat!
I agree with others that a tubular heater may be safer, but some have an internal cutout that is too low to reach the temperature required and this is not always easy to find out before buying.
I also considered using a ceramic vivarium heater, but it was more expensive. Anyone tried?
The STC 1000 works very well too, but be careful buying a cheap one. I had one go bang on me. Bought an Inkbird one to replace it and you can tell the difference in quality.

I agree with others that a tubular heater may be safer, but some have an internal cutout that is too low to reach the temperature required and this is not always easy to find out before buying.

Well in that case you just buy one where it is easy to find out - I had no difficulty in finding heaters with the correct thermal cutout limit.

Well in that case you just buy one where it is easy to find out - I had no difficulty in finding heaters with the correct thermal cutout limit.

Perhaps you could find a way to put up a link?

every heater of that type I have had seems to burn out after 3 months of use.

Sadly go to landfill as sending back under guarantee cost more than a new unit!

heating tube

Tried a heating tube in my warming cabinet, an old fridge and concluded that the existing light bulbs was better at giving the heat. The heating tube warn that these items have to be horizontal so limits size and position in my upright fridge.

Or purchase the proper equipment for doing the job.
we have two Lyson, one premium with gas strut lid & one with lift off lid that uncapper sits over. Swienty which was my first was bought second hand, could not manage without them. Should do a review maybe, product comparison ???.
A lot more cost effective to run than fridge with heating tubes we found.

I have a home made PIR warmer which uses a Thorne heater but my mainstay is a tea urn I bought years ago from Aldi which takes a 30lb bucket in a water bath.

Back