warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reviving another thread it seems, but just wondered (sorry if this has been covered somewhere else way back) if there is any reason that a regular fan heater can't be used in a repurposed fridge or freezer. I mean those little 1000/2000 flat heaters that people use in caravans, greenhouses and such. They have a built in fan and are fairly compact.

Reviving another thread it seems, but just wondered (sorry if this has been covered somewhere else way back) if there is any reason that a regular fan heater can't be used in a repurposed fridge or freezer. I mean those little 1000/2000 flat heaters that people use in caravans, greenhouses and such. They have a built in fan and are fairly compact.
I believe used in a cabinet they’re in danger of becoming a fire hazard. Far better either with an old style light bulb or preferably tube heaters linked to a controller

Reactions: Rez
Thanks for the replies.

I bought a 60W tube heater on Amazon and it struggled to get past 32C, this is what made me wonder about the fan heaters. Maybe I just got a duff tube.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought a 60W tube heater on Amazon and it struggled to get past 32C, this is what made me wonder about the fan heaters. Maybe I just got a duff tube.
Is your cabinet insulation up to scratch and does the door seal tightly?

I bought a 60W tube heater on Amazon and it struggled to get past 32C
it all depends which one you bought, as many have a pretty low thermal cutout set.
I find the Hausen ones get up to temperature with no hassle

Reactions: Rez
Is your cabinet insulation up to scratch and does the door seal tightly?
That could be a thing. It's an old fridge. It seems ok, but I suppose it's probably past it's best.

it all depends which one you bought, as many have a pretty low thermal cutout set.
I find the Hausen ones get up to temperature with no hassle
I feel that this might be the issue. The one I bought is a Greenbrook. I have no idea if that's good or bad, but it was only £20. Again I don't know if that's good or bad.
I'll take a look at some that you mention.

I bought a jam maker/preserver thing recently so the fridge is just a backup/alternative. It'd be nice to get it working as it should though.

I feel that this might be the issue. The one I bought is a Greenbrook. I have no idea if that's good or bad, but it was only £20. Again I don't know if that's good or bad.
I'll take a look at some that you mention.

I bought a jam maker/preserver thing recently so the fridge is just a backup/alternative. It'd be nice to get it working as it should though.
I'd have a look inside the cable/element connection space to look for a thermal cutout. Replacements are available with different operating temperatures from suppliers like RS Components or similar suppliers.

I'd have a look inside the cable/element connection space to look for a thermal cutout. Replacements are available with different operating temperatures from suppliers like RS Components or similar suppliers.
I don't know enough about such things. I wouldn't know what I'm looking for and certainly wouldn't be comfortable trying to adjust anything inside the heater. I'm not much of a DIYer when it comes to electricals.

Thanks for the tip though, I know someone else who might take a look.

Latest posts

Back