Warming Cabinet Insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
I have made a warming cabinet and I have lined it out with insulation board, a celotex type with a silver covering. Everything works well but I have noticed that the insulation is giving off a smell when heated, which I am a bit concerned about. Could anyone tell me what they use on their cabinets. Many thanks for any advice.

Could anyone tell me what they use on their cabinets.

I used EPS in mine. Not used incandescent lamps, as I consider them potentially dangerous.

When I used one it was a retired chest freezer with three lapmps when it got warm there was a slight odour which I put down to the plastic warming up.

Worked perfectly well for years, and never had a broken bulb.

Could warm 300 lbs at a time which was enough to fill the tank to a comfortable level.

PH

If you do a search I believe Rooftops made his from insulating board alone and posted pictures.

The are small oil filled electrict radiators with thermostat (30 cm x 40cm). Then get a small computer ventilator to mix the air and keep thermostat steady.

All which heat too much, they make a fire danger.

Radiator is about 15 pounds and you may use it in many other purposes.

Last edited:
I made mine using celotex and the Th@rnes thermostic heating thingy, it was very smelly when I first turned it on. I let it warm up and cool down a few times over a couple of days and it is odourless now.

I made mine using celotex and the Th@rnes thermostic heating thingy, it was very smelly when I first turned it on. I let it warm up and cool down a few times over a couple of days and it is odourless now.

I used an old small upright freezer and the same heating element (although bought cheaper from another supplier!).

The element when new does give off a smell when new. After a little use that smell soon disappears!

I use a blanket box lined with kitchen foil and a piece of poly under the lid.

I use a small old fridge. Just drill a hole and pop in a light and off you go.

Old fridge +100 watt bulb wired through a boiler thermostat,can liquify 2 x 40 lb honey buckets at a time,no odours or problems ,using same setup 4 years

Back