Another option for insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I recall amongst the many discussions re hive insulation that rockwool loft insulation was mentioned but there was concern about rockwool getting into the hive.
I was in B&Q recently and noticed they now sell loft insulation rolls that are made from recycled plastic instead, similar to use, much nicer to handle, no mask needed, and shouldn't cause any concerns. It would be easy to fill eg an empty super with it over a crown board.
I imagine everyone on here has their insulation sorted by now, but might be of use to someone.

That's step forward-the very mention of the traditional stuff gets me itching.
I plylined the inside of my van and made thin 'pillows of Rockwool in strong bin liners in between the ply and the body panels to insulate temperature and resonance.
You could do similar in an eke and box in the pillow with correx or plywood

I believe the "itching powder" sold by joke shops when I was a kid was finely chopped rockwool!
My only hesitation using the plastic stuff in a loft is that it's probably flammable, unlike rockwool.

I recall amongst the many discussions re hive insulation that rockwool loft insulation was mentioned but there was concern about rockwool getting into the hive.
I was in B&Q recently and noticed they now sell loft insulation rolls that are made from recycled plastic instead, similar to use, much nicer to handle, no mask needed, and shouldn't cause any concerns. It would be easy to fill eg an empty super with it over a crown board.
I imagine everyone on here has their insulation sorted by now, but might be of use to someone.
I use a similar insulation from Woodies in the same way and it is excellent..put Ur hand under it and the CB is warm. Mind u it has increased in price dramatically this year.

Latest posts

Back