Ventilated suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
Has anyone any experience with ventilated suits? Mrs B tends to get too hot in her cotton Sherriff suit. It looks like there are two types of ventilated suits available from the USA and now M'more offers one; before we invest any comments or advice would be welcome.

Jim

We're aiming to buy 2 lightweight polycotton suits from BB.
You can always add extra layers in the cooler weather if required, if you bought them big enough in the first place.
We think they should wash and dry a lot quicker as well.

Tim

I have a ventilated suit from USA. (Golden Bee Products) I have purchased a suit of similar material from Maisemore. I have been delighted with my American suit. It is sting proof, 3 layers of mesh composition, and you remain cool . I have had the Maisie one as a backup for a year but have never tried it. The fabric and construction are almost identical to the USA offering. This cost me £200+ and the maisie £120ish

I have a ventilated suit from USA. (Golden Bee Products) I have purchased a suit of similar material from Maisemore. I have been delighted with my American suit. It is sting proof, 3 layers of mesh composition, and you remain cool . I have had the Maisie one as a backup for a year but have never tried it. The fabric and construction are almost identical to the USA offering. This cost me £200+ and the maisie £120ish

Do share a link, please, Brian.

Used successfully on Africanised bees. Look like a Dr No outfit.

Only ever just tried one on. I'd imagine it's cool in a breeze but I felt very hot in it in no time and it feels quite bulky.

This year I am going to try one of the head and shoulder veils for inspections. I have a boy scout head and shoulder veils and works well for simple tasks but don't see why not for full inspections. If it works ok I will invest in one of the fencing type as the brimmed hat can be a pain.

Hi Psafloyd
This is the link to Golden Bee Suits
http://www.goldenbeeproducts.com/
I initially rang Susie. She is a lovely person. They make the suit to your size. (I am apparently a medium husky), 17 stone? Well that's the Americans for you!!!
Yes they sell to the Louisiana and Texas fire departments for dealing with Africanised bees.

Last edited:
I have one made by Ultra Breeze. Excellent quality and totally sting proof even when wearing only a pair of shorts underneath. The only downside is that they are a little on the heavy side.

Thanks Pete I have noticed in the past you say you use them and another beekeeper I know only uses something similar. This has encouraged me to give it a go. If my boyscout job weeks out I may get one from the link.

Just on a side note I have two jackets a ultra light job and I sweat buckets in that and a thick go to war cotton job still sweat but not as bad and way more comfortable.

i have BB lightweight suit. perfectly fine for routine use in proper heat (35-40C summers).

I have the same nice and cool but not sting prof

Mann Lake Uk also offer a ventilsted suit.

Hi Psafloyd
This is the link to Golden Bee Suits
http://www.goldenbeeproducts.com/
I initially rang Susie. She is a lovely person. They make the suit to your size. (I am apparently a medium husky), 17 stone? Well that's the Americans for you!!!
Yes they sell to the Louisiana and Texas fire departments for dealing with Africanised bees.

Merci beaucoup, monsieur.

You can get stung through any standard suit - it's just providing an extra layer of protection NOT some magic shield. Anywhere the fabric touches what's underneath is a danger zone if the bees choose to get nasty.

what is important is that you are inside and they are kept outside.

Thanks for your comments; I emailed both M'more and M'Lake to see if they had any better photos of the suits that they offer and only M'Lake came up with the goods. I'm still undecided but if anyone happens to be going to the Spring Convention and happens to look at the suits I would love to see how they compare.

Thanks for info. folks.
Last Fri. we tootled down the A30 to Truro and came back with a buttercup yellow small lightweight for SWMBO and ordered a slate one for me, nearly all the stock was at Harper Adams. Roll on the summer.

Tim

Latest posts

Back