No eggs or young lava in a new nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarshamAndy

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I put a purchased 6 frame nuc in a full size brood box last Monday. It was in the nuc box for a couple days in the location before the changeover. I've just had a quick peep in the box before the rain comes and I've no eggs and no young lava. There is a few large lava that look just about to be capped and the rest is either capped or already hatched. Just loads of empty cells.

Do you think that is just her settling into her new home and hasn't started laying yet or should I be thinking about some action. She seems to be wandering around oK and doesn't look damaged at all. I wondered if I had damaged her in the transport here.

They have brought in pollen and nectar and there is space for her to lay - she just hasn't.
I've a rapid feeder on too.

They seem quite calm and happy as a colony. The weather has been a bit crap. Loads of flowers about - just rain rain cold and rain.

I have a second older overwintered nuc that has now filled a full box and have just put a super on so have access to a frame or two of young brood and eggs if I really need it.

My gut instinct was just leave for another week and see what happens..... But I'm a bit of an anxious and stressed type of person and worry about everything!

Any advice greatly received.
Thanks in advance
Andy

I wondered if I had damaged her in the transport here.
Was there anything in particular about the transportation that makes you concerned that she may be damaged? Something like overheating perhaps?

No, it was a very gentle short trip of 20 minutes with no major bumping around.
The weather has been pretty crap, but thought that she would have laid something in 6 days.
Pollen was going in yesterday, but not much sign of that this morning so far.

No, it was a very gentle short trip of 20 minutes with no major bumping around.
The weather has been pretty crap, but thought that she would have laid something in 6 days.
Pollen was going in yesterday, but not much sign of that this morning so far.
I'd say the trip is unlikely to be a problem then. Seeing eggs can sometimes be tricky...
Are you really/totally confident when you looked quickly at them that there were no eggs?

It was as you would expect a 6 frame nuc, I guess. Eggs & brood at all stages, loads of capped worker cells, pollen and honey frames. with a queen happily wandering about ... Nothing suspicious. It may just be the shock and the rubbish weather, but I'm a bit of a worrier! :D

I've not got great eyesight. It's just there were no very young brood, that's what threw me more than not seeing eggs as they are much easier to see. It might just be the shock of being bunged in a nice then changed to a brood box and rubbish weather. Ill check in a couple more days. If I can't see anything then I'll have to put a frame from another hive in and see what happens.
I always worry too much 😂

Sometimes (Most times) a bit of patience and waiting to see what happens when you are not sure what's going on will render things clearer. (The exception is when you find queen cells .....)

Latest posts

Back