Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Whatching the girls coming and going the other night one bee came out fell on the ground and crawled away, wings chewed up, opened the hive tonight seen about 6 more bees with chewed wings and disformed abdomens, the queen is still laying well, what are my options, bee gental

Hi Simon,
Did you treat them with anything in Autumn (apiguard etc) amd did you do oxalic acid in January?
It's a bit late to do OA now as it will kill the brood, but you could still do apiguard.

Yes I treated with Apistan in autumn, no oxalic though.

Sounds like they are suffering from deformed wing virus which in turn is a sign of a high varroa load.

Apistan is not generally recommended as most of the uk now has resistant mites. I would treat with either Apiguard or Apilifevar.

If you have the kit and the confidence a shook swarm onto new frames will leave most of the varroa in the old frames and the Apiguard will get most of the rest. :cheers2: Mike

Thanks MJ, So that would involve distroying all the brood in comb, would the stores be ok to use

When I had this problem I found the queen and transferred her on a frame of eggs to the new box (note - eggs no sealed brood). I then shook all the rest of the bees into the new box and put it on the original site. Fed it and left it alone.

All the old frames went into the freezer for 48 hours. The frames of stores were saved and the frames with brood were binned.

When I had this problem I found the queen and transferred her on a frame of eggs to the new box (note - eggs no sealed brood). I then shook all the rest of the bees into the new box and put it on the original site. Fed it and left it alone.

All the old frames went into the freezer for 48 hours. The frames of stores were saved and the frames with brood were binned.

Just one perhaps silly question why did all the frames go into the freezer

Quickest and IMO the most humane way to kill all living occupants - bees in all stages, wax moth and varroa. It means that a frame that is mainly stores but which has a small patch of brood can be saved without the risk of spreading varroa.

hygienic bees

I might as well keep with the topic of Varroa. I have two langstroths poly hives which have the black bee in them from these hives i want to groom bees that become more active in grooming etc.
I have not treated eith hive for 3 years against Varroa and am now doing a three daily check to see how things are in the hives and i will once a week dist with icing cugar to make them groom each other.
On Monday past i did a check for varroa mites from the tray and found 2 mites from Hive 1 and 2 mites from hive 2. Today i have three mites from hive 1 and 1 mite from hive two. on one of the varros from hive 2 there appears a torn piece on the dorsal covering (will find out correct names soon) see photo. Later this year i hope to breed from hive 2 and possibly hive 1. I will try to keep ypou up to date with how i get on.

Photos
1 = damage to dorsal covering
2 = varroa from hive 1
3 = Varroa from hive 2

Sounds interesting Mo.

I'm interested to know how they do over the season and hope you can build up from them.

I for one find this interesting. I'm quite new but hearing what those of you who are a little more experienced are up to is good. Useful, too, to hear some of the routine rather than just the breakthroughs or the disasters, if you understand what I mean. Sometimes the forum seems to have lots of crises or lots of 'yippees' but the in between situations are just as illuminating.
Tricia

Hi Guys,
What I am hoping to do is to keep a log so to speak for all the manipulations I do to both hives I.E. check the trays, sugar dust, rear queens from either hive for future use.
Hopefully to run a diary of events for all to see.

Mo

Hi members,
Because of the situation in Hive 1 QL I did not carry out the sugar dusting that i had planned, it was just the normal three day inspection for mites on the Sunday so here's what i found.
I think you will agree the photos are self explanitary. I have kept the varroa mites in IPA just for back up.

Mo

I think we all know the old addage of What comes after the Lord Mayors Show? Well here it is as today was day 3 for a mite drop count and here's what i got.

So what do I do now ??????????

Mo
Sorry but I know what I am going to do I thought I would ask for your comments please.
Thanks
Mo

Hu hu,
all these comments i am struggling to get throught them.

As no one is interested thats it then lets call it a day and close this thread.

Mo

I am interested but still remain a bit sceptical about the cause of the damage. Why would the bees remove all the legs from a varroa and given the design of the mouth parts how could they do it?

Hi Roof Tops,

I understand your being sceptical and so am I but It could be possible to use the mandibles as a type of shovel using a pincer movment. Why the legs why the outer covering or carapice (spelling not sure) why the dent on the light coloured mite?
John I wish i knew the answer but i am afraid I do not, does anyone? What makes the bees fight back ( mans words not the bees).?
I have read the the New Varroa Handbook by Bernhard Mobus & Clive de Bruyn but did not find any suggestions why the bees attackec the mite, must reread it again as something in my mind says there might have been a section on resistance.
Just about to do a hive inspection on all hives what glorious weather we are having it great.
Are all the OAP out and about in Devon?
Best wishes
Mo

Bcrazy is thinking it must be a first.

Today i found a couple of Varroa mites grappling each other whilst waiting for me to photograph them. does any think that Varroa are aggressive toward each other and this might cause damage to one or the other and the beekeeper considers this (his bees are attacking Varroa).
I suppose it is possible to some degree where mites will fight given the right circumstances.

Thoughts anyone??????//

Mo

Latest posts

Back