merging hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH honey

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I came out of last winter with one hive. After splits 'n' swarms I ended summer with 3 and gave 1 away. I have merged a smaller swarmed hive with its stronger originator hive.
Both Q laying well, so i just put one on top of the other with paper in the hope that the bees would sort it out ( truth is I couldn't choose which Q to remove). As the weather is very mild, and both hives have eggs and larvae, i did an inspection to see whats what. Both Q still in respective BB. So,
1. will they reduce to one Q?
2. Will they settle in one BB so I can remove the other before colder weather?
2 xOA vapes completed and super of stores on.

Both Q still in respective BB
Risky to go into winter with one colony. Better to winter on two, perhaps lose one, build up the other next year. If you don't want to winter two separate hives, put a split board between the twins today (make sure each box has a Q, and the top box an entrance) and decide in spring which to keep. Feeding is a bit more work, but not much.

Sorry, wasn't clear... reducing from 3 to 2. Other coliny is strong, laying Q, plenty of stores

Sorry, wasn't clear... reducing from 3 to 2. Other coliny is strong, laying Q, plenty of stores
That is, I had 4 colonies from splits and swarms, ,gave 1 awayand was left with 3 hives 1 if which is a bit weaker ( from a swarm)

Latest posts

Back