Vaporising Oxyalic Acid Against Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked when men made asbest renovation. There were fine systems in work place, but then guys put the dusty plastic sacks into their car and safety system
Stopped there. I believe that car interrior is contaminated with asbest dust.

What oxalic powder does?

i made an experiment. I had leaking wound, and it did not stopped. I put a little bit OA into wound, at it stopped leaking at once.
When I put OA too much, it burned a piece of tissue, and it took quite long to heal.

You may imagine what may happen in lungs, when epithel gets the acid.

Experiment 2

I tried what leaf mites like when I sprayed 3% water solution on them. It was sunny day and the spray gasified at once. Water dried at once off and acid flied in the room air. I must dismiss. No need to think, go or not to go. It was stunning.

less than a fiver - loads of this kind on fleabay - done me fine for years

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electroni...050048?hash=item3ab81d96c0:g:xvsAAOSwcBhWZ8oS

weigh them into these little jaspers - and no mess no fuss at the apiary

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120891551439?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thank you. This is really useful.
Will be taking this route myself and have found the recent threads on vaporising OA most informative - despite the needless needling and repetitious postings.

BTW Loved the poem.

What oxalic powder does?
i made an experiment. I had leaking wound, and it did not stopped. I put a little bit OA into wound, at it stopped leaking at once.
You may imagine what may happen in lungs, when epithel gets the acid.

Was that not dangerous. Or, :spy: could that not explain your state of mind now;)

Just a joke Finnie, Merry Christmas

In relation to dosage , detailed at 2.5 grms per hive.
Not having an jewelers scales , I recall seeing in a previous post that could be fairly accurately measured out on a teaspoon ? If so levell teaspoon, 1/2 etc ?
Thanks

When I bought my oxalic crystals, 2 x 1gm plastic measuring spoons came with the pack. I very much doubt that ApiBioxal's concoction weighs significantly differently and I suspect almost any pharmacy can provide the little measuring spoons. Ask nicely and they might even be free. All I do is scoop some up, level it off with whatever is to hand (a brick?) and bobs-yer-flippin. In any case, the amount for a single treatment has got to be a bit by-and-large anyway. Just got to use ones noddle a bit. My bees have never objected.

What a brilliant idea. I have loads of little plastic sample pots from some Thorne sale long ago.

The ones I bought fit neatly inside the bowl of the varrox so you can just invert the bowl over the open pot, flip over and all the crystals are in the bowl - really good when there's a bit of a breeze or rain, you can then tamp the crystals down with the same pot base. - ideal!

When I bought my oxalic crystals, 2 x 1gm plastic measuring spoons came with the pack. I very much doubt that ApiBioxal's concoction weighs significantly differently and I suspect almost any pharmacy can provide the little measuring spoons.

did a bit of experimenting with those scoops - and there can be as much as 1g difference when measuring out, as you say though, it's all empirical and probably doesn't matterr that much. just find it easier to pre-weigh the crystals into the little pots in the comfort and shelter of the shed, less faffing around with kit at the apiary - also means a much slicker operation getting ready to dose the next hive.

It's all immaterial anyhow seeing as it's now a hanging offence even to dream about oxalic acid :D

did a bit of experimenting with those scoops - and there can be as much as 1g difference when measuring out, as you say though, it's all empirical and probably doesn't matterr that much. just find it easier to pre-weigh the QUOTE]

A 1gm spoon levelled off in the way I said measures almost exactly what it says on the tin and there cannot possibly be a 1gm difference as you claim.

It's all immaterial anyhow seeing as it's now a hanging offence even to dream about oxalic acid :D

Calm down JBM, let the spirit of goodwill flow through you. :Angel_anim:

Besides, we're all going to ignore the rules anyway :reddevil:

Not really.

that was just for the folks that might "tell"

Last edited:
did a bit of experimenting with those scoops - and there can be as much as 1g difference when measuring out, as you say though, it's all empirical and probably doesn't matterr that much. just find it easier to pre-weigh the QUOTE]

A 1gm spoon levelled off in the way I said measures almost exactly what it says on the tin and there cannot possibly be a 1gm difference as you claim.

depends how compacted the crystals are, I was surprised as i was happy enough just scooping it into the pots, but i happened to have the scales handy so I checked. But then if you prefer faffing around at the apiary measuring out the stuff fair enough - I would rather prepare all the doses at home and get on with it up there - less time spent in close proximity to the hives during vaping the better IMHO

It's all immaterial anyhow seeing as it's now a hanging offence even to dream about oxalic acid
Well, Thorne are still selling it.
I know somebody who phoned them up to say she was vaping and what should she order and they sold her a large tub (not Apibioxal)

It's all immaterial anyhow seeing as it's now a hanging offence even to dream about oxalic acid
Well, Thorne are still selling it.
I know somebody who phoned them up to say she was vaping and what should she order and they sold her a large tub (not Apibioxal)

still freely available on fleabay as well - in large quantities for cleaning woodwork and rust removal :blush5:

Thorne's Description
Di-hydrate type. Use in the Varrox Vaporiser in crystal form. Readily soluble in water for use in syringes if practising the trickling method. Is ideal for cleaning weathered cedar. Return your beehive to its natural colour.

Thorne's Description
Di-hydrate type. Use in the Varrox Vaporiser in crystal form. Readily soluble in water for use in syringes if practising the trickling method. Is ideal for cleaning weathered cedar. Return your beehive to its natural colour.

Prosecute them if they dare. :hairpull::hairpull:

If you search the official meds for bees list
http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/ProductInformationDatabase/Search.aspx
(Pick bees in the drop down species box)
then View SPC for Api-bioxal

From the document:

. Use of the sublimation method of administration is not recommended in summer.

) Posology and method of administration by vaporisation
Use an electric resistance device for vaporisation. Fill the pan of the vaporizer with 2.3 g of the product. Place the appliance through the entrance of the hive under the bees, avoiding contact with the honey combs. Seal the entrance of the hive to avoid escape of the bees and smoke. Turn on the vaporizer following the manufacturer’s instructions for about 3 minutes and keep the hive shut for another 15 minutes. Cool down and clean the vaporizer after use to remove possible residue (max 6%, around 0.140 g). Use drinkable water for cooling and/or cleaning. Maximal dose 2.3g per hive as a single administration. One treatment per year.

--
That says to me vaporisation is allowed.But only once per year.

Could anyone sensibly afford to treat any more often?

A vey precise (well, only to 0.1g and not to the nearest 0.01g like some would deem necessary) with no reference to the size of the enclosure or even the colony. 10 000 bees in winter in a single deep National or 40 000 bees towards autumn in a double brood box.

Instruction carefully designed for the non- thinkers, I might suggest? It might prevent terribly elevated oxalic acid content of honey, which might otherwise occur for a few out there

From the document:

. Use of the sublimation method of administration is not recommended in summer.

) Posology and method of administration by vaporisation
Use an electric resistance device for vaporisation. Fill the pan of the vaporizer with 2.3 g of the product. Place the appliance through the entrance of the hive under the bees, avoiding contact with the honey combs. Seal the entrance of the hive to avoid escape of the bees and smoke. Turn on the vaporizer following the manufacturer’s instructions for about 3 minutes and keep the hive shut for another 15 minutes. Cool down and clean the vaporizer after use to remove possible residue (max 6%, around 0.140 g). Use drinkable water for cooling and/or cleaning. Maximal dose 2.3g per hive as a single administration. One treatment per year.

--

Instruction carefully designed for the non- thinkers, I might suggest?

Yes, load of rubbish... sums that document up perfectly.

Vaporazion has been used in UK only 20 years. And against law. Easy, easy.

IT remains secret, how to do it.

Latest posts

Back