Vanishing bees, varroa biggest reason 2016

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you not read the posts? Is there no varroa in the uk?

Of course ... but our Varroa is susceptible to Amitraz/Apivar ... but you claim "I normally use amitraz but that's not effective anymore". Portugal is one of the areas where Amitraz resistance has been reported.

It would be an act of total recklessness to import bees to the UK with known or suspected resistance to Apivar/Amitraz ...

Yes, hence the comment.

I still don't know what you are getting at?

Yes we have lots of problems but I can guarantee I'm better at finding afb than most of the beekeepers in the U.K. I always follow the rules to the letter and get any colonies checked asap, last time I wasn't even present for the inspection as it would be done sooner. Ok I get caught out with varroa now and again but who doesn't? Our colonies just die out quicker.

Of course ... but our Varroa is susceptible to Amitraz/Apivar ... but you claim "I normally use amitraz but that's not effective anymore". Portugal is one of the areas where Amitraz resistance has been reported.

It would be an act of total recklessness to import bees to the UK with known or suspected resistance to Apivar/Amitraz ...

Hang on just one minute, I imported bees on the 15th January. I had them inspected on the 30th, that was the first idea I had problem, I checked the source apiary 2 days ago. I don't know if it's the amitraz or an outside source and have spoken to the bee inspector in great length.

Honestly, do you think I would go to the effort and expense of bringing bees to the UK I thought wouldn't survive.

Hang on just one minute, I imported bees on the 15th January. I had them inspected on the 30th, that was the first idea I had problem, I checked the source apiary 2 days ago. I don't know if it's the amitraz or an outside source and have spoken to the bee inspector in great length.

Honestly, do you think I would go to the effort and expense of bringing bees to the UK I thought wouldn't survive.

I would hope not ...

Beebase_-_Beekeeping_information_resource_for_Beekeepers.png

It looks as though these are the only Portuguese imports NBU has a record of in the last decade.

Portugal has been reporting Amitraz resistance for over a decade, with field tests in 2005 only resulting in a 60% mite drop.

I would hope not ...

Beebase_-_Beekeeping_information_resource_for_Beekeepers.png

It looks as though these are the only Portuguese imports NBU has a record of in the last decade.

Portugal has been reporting Amitraz resistance for over a decade, with field tests in 2005 only resulting in a 60% mite drop.

That's the one I imported in 2016, they are now back in PT with some fine buckfast queens. It's the only way I can get decent queens here. There is another for 2017 but I can say for sure there will be more imports from PT, in fact the EU official here was surprised I was doing it properly and said most just take them without.

Interesting re amitraz, I have found it to be very effective up to now and used it for the for the last 3 years, it's actually got my out of trouble many times. I'm currently making up some emergency treatments from formic and thymol now though.

The important words there are 'has a record of'.

There is a queen breeder in the Algarve who contacted me a couple of seasons back with offers and claimed regular supplies to the UK, but mainly to France.

One of my former Italian suppliers has named who he is selling to now (and they are in the UK) after I binned him because of poor quality. His shipments do not show up because all the imports from there I and my contacts can account for coming to the UK via various vendors already exceeds the official figures. Much closer now than 5 or more years ago, SHB caution from most has seen that tighten up.

However, one of the main Italian package suppliers has already bought land in Portugal to move to if the client states (mainly France and Germany but also UK) close their borders to Italian exports, or more likely the Italian government close their own borders.

The official figures are better today than they used to be, but still far from complete.

Some imports are 'second hand', so the place the paperwork is issued may not actually be where the bees came from (seen that happen first hand), and buying home produced is not a sure fire thing either. Nuc vendors (some, a minority in all probability) use imported bees to establish them but most clients are not concerned by this.

No health certificate for UK product either...........but hey, we are British...surely no-one would pretend local origin? Yet still people happily buy 'locally produced nuclei with home bred new seasons mated laying queen....in APRIL' Yeah right. Even early May is pushing it, especially as the are sold with brood in all stages.

OP has been open and honest and has declared everything they did, and has been inspected. I personally do not have a lot of beef with that.

OP has been open and honest and has declared everything they did, and has been inspected.

I don't disagree - no suggestion he/she is being underhand. It's simply the juxtaposition of "the Amitraz doesn't work" with "I've imported 4 nucs" that gives me the heebie-jeebies. Any amount of inspection won't find Amitraz-resistant mites (other perhaps than a functional test) as the molecular basis of resistance isn't known ...

And I'm well aware that the vendors address has little or nothing to do with the geographic origin ... which brings us back to those April-supplied nucs with local queens and three frames of brood ;)

which brings us back to those April-supplied nucs with local queens and three frames of brood ;)

Its not the local bit that I have argument with per se....its when combined with 'new seasons'...especially the queen. Very suspicious.

Late April overwintered locally produced is fine, I have hundreds ready myself.

A lot less complicated if everyone describes their product accurately and honestly.

Thought I'd give an update and see what you think. I have been around 7 other apiaries today, all treated the same formic acid in July, amitraz August, amitraz December and all thriving, no losses in around 200 colonies. Just this one apiary and around 7 hives collapsed with mite load. This colony also has evidence of slight nosema and the other 19 survivors are doing well, no evidence of varroa at all. Haven't tested as they are still in full flow and full of brood. Any ideas?

Don't let that put you off - try 3 doses of VOA 5 days apart. I had one colony with DWV 'on it's knees' last year in mid-season, and zapped them with 4 doses of VOA, 4 days apart, just to be sure - as belt & braces. Colony survived and has just over-wintered ok (so far, touch wood).
LJ

It worked, all four looking very good today. Bought a big 120ah battery for some more treatments in PT

It worked, all four looking very good today. Bought a big 120ah battery for some more treatments in PT

Belated replies (sorry about that). Very pleased to hear VOA worked. It's always worth a try.

If it is that susceptible, I would suggest that you requeen asap

I'm ahead of you on this one :) - it's number 3 on the list for a new momma - although mainly because it has a lot of running on the combs. Dunno if the two could possibly be related ? But yes, will be re-queening that colony - just as soon as we get some drones.
LJ

Latest posts

Back