Finding research papers online

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icing Sugar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone. Perhaps it is possible to post something on this forum at the moment without getting bashed over the head by any of the usual suspects.

Winter is the season for woodwork and reading, they say. I therefore bought myself a table saw in November and made some mating nucs out of scrap wood. Very pretty they look too, painted up with their various patterns to help the queen find her way home again.

I thought I would share my experience of hunting down honey bee research papers online.

https://www.google.co.uk
Choose a few key words and put them in the search box. The fewer words the better.
Putting words within speech marks will make google search for that exact word combination rather than each individual word.
Put the letters “pdf” at the end of the string of words in your search strategy to hone it down consideraby.
Many papers will be hosted by a company called Springer. For these papers you can typically get the abstract but not the full publication. However, don’t worry… many other publication houses are more generous.
After running the search with “Apis mellifera”, repeat it with “honey bee” and perhaps even “honeybee”.
When searching for papers relating to particular diseases, first do the search using the common term for the disease and repeat it using the scientific term.

http://www.freefullpdf.com/
This web site limits the search to pdfs from the outset.
Structure your search strategies as for a Google search.

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr
A French web site that currently hosts over 700 journal articles containing the words “Apis mellifera”, over 300 with the words “honey bee” and many others of interest that contain neither of these terms. Obviously you add rather more to your search strategy to drill down to the papers relating to your interest of the moment.
Some heavyweight authors have stuff posted there (e.g. Seeley, Oldroyd, Spivak, Koeniger, Neumann, Moritz, Crailsheim). Quite a lot of the archive for the journal Apidology has been posted here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
This U.S.-based web site is primarily intended to serve as a database for medical papers but for some reason there are quite a few honey bee-related papers there too. It indicates which of these are “free full text” and these can be downloaded.

http://www.researchgate.net
If you have an academic e-mail address then this is well worth joining. In fact, it is nothing short of amazing. Innumerable authors post copies of their research papers here for other individual users to access. Many of these papers are not freely available elsewhere. You can also request papers from members of this site that they have not yet uploaded for whatever reason… and perhaps even strike up a correspondence. There is some serious stuff on this site and it will take your understanding of bees to a totally new level. Forget almost all of the “experts” on the beekeeping forum; forget your favourite bee books; this is truly where it is at!
Big areas of honey bee research in recent years include genomics, epigenetics, endocrinology, all aspects of polyethism, immunology, local vs imported bees. Prepare to be amazed at what goes on in a bee colony.

University department web pages
If you follow up the leads given above, you will soon discover who the really exciting researchers of the moment are. If you visit the web pages for their university departments, you will normally find lists of their most important publications, often with pdfs attached.

Journal web pages
Some journal web sites are free full access (e.g. PLOS Biology) and others are have different models of variable access (e.g. Journal of Apicultural Research). Maybe I will do another post about that at some point.

Anyway, why not use these amazing resources to look up a few of your questions for yourself and post referenced summaries of your findings on this forum? (I have downloaded over 1,000 papers in the last 6 months which I am about a third of the way through now). Why not even start an online “journal club” on this forum that collectively follows up the research literature on various subjects?

I hope that this forum is on the dawn of a new era of politeness to each other. If not then I will be leaving too, and perhaps many other quiet members. "So what?" you might understandably say. Well, if better manners prevailed then the increase in the number of people who joined in conversations might surprise you all.

icing sugar

'I hope that this forum is on the dawn of a new era of politeness to each other. If not then I will be leaving too, and perhaps many other quiet members. "So what?" you might understandably say. Well, if better manners prevailed then the increase in the number of people who joined in conversations might surprise you all.'

And the hobby will be better off by additional well advised beekeepers AND the bees would benefit too from the valuable information and advice given.

Good stuff

anyone got a reference for the angle of the axis of cells from the horizontal in honeycomb?
in return
read this one
http://www.nature.com/news/a-mouse-s-house-may-ruin-experiments-1.19335
its on mice but think on the corresponding issue with Apis mellifera research

That's an interesting article Derek, it rather suggests that what I was saying about bees and varroa

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=520599#post520599 Post #83

is reflected elsehere ...

BTW .. Thank you Icing Sugar for taking the time to produce a helpful guide to searching which goes beyond the usual Google search. Well done.

You need to be careful about assuming that because a paper has been published it's legitimate. For example, Google & freefullpdf show everything, including loony stuff.

Your best bet is to first check the ranking of the journal to make sure it's legit and not one of those pay-to-publish rubbishy journals. Then read the article to see if it follows the rules for good research (large sample sizes, double-blind tests, etc.), and check the conclusions to see if they really do correlate with the rest of the article. In other words, be as cynical and critical and questioning as you possibly can be!

If you can find a meta-analysis, that's probably the best possible: these look at all the published research and analyse all the results to get a better/more accurate overall picture of the subject matter.

You need to be careful about assuming that because a paper has been published it's legitimate. For example, Google & freefullpdf show everything, including loony stuff.

If you just search for keywords + research then it'll show articles at the top with the number of cites.

EG:
varroa resistance research
gives

Scholarly articles for varroa resistance research
The resistance of Varroa jacobsoni Oud. to acaricides - ‎Milani - Cited by 200
Acaricide resistance mechanisms in the two-spotted … - ‎Van Leeuwen - Cited by 216
A scientific note on Varroa destructor resistance to … - ‎Pettis - Cited by 66

Hello everyone. Perhaps it is possible to post something on this forum at the moment without getting bashed over the head by any of the usual suspects.
I hope that this forum is on the dawn of a new era of politeness to each other. If not then I will be leaving too, and perhaps many other quiet members. "So what?" you might understandably say. Well, if better manners prevailed then the increase in the number of people who joined in conversations might surprise you all.

I think we're all getting cabin fever towards the end of a long winter :sos:

You need to be careful about assuming that because a paper has been published it's legitimate...

If you can find a meta-analysis, that's probably the best possible: these look at all the published research and analyse all the results to get a better/more accurate overall picture of the subject matter.

and be careful of meta-analysis because that will just tell you the "accepted wisdom" and accepted wisdom can be anything but.

meta-analysis would tell you bees do better in wooden hives with top ventilation in cold climates
it doesnt tell you that nearly all of the experiments are flawed because of lack of understanding of heat transfer, a result of the experiments being conducted by biologists without consulting engineers.

I doubt this is the only example

Who said it was easy?

Last edited:
Who said it was easy?

It's certainly not easy! I must have read the two DWV research papers from the MBA in Plymouth (Type B virus from Swindon and Type C virus from Devon) four or five times but there are parts of each paper that are to me just gibberish because I don't have a background in academia or virology. I have to rely on those who reviewed the papers to tell me that the technical stuff is correct. You even need some knowledge of mathematics to establish whether the results are statistically significant.

Even the Thermal Conductance of Man-made Bee Enclosures(sic) paper by D Mitchell, which should have been a doddle to follow for somebody with an engineering degree, I found was hard-going because I hadn't read that sort of script for ages. Unless you're really into academic research in a big way and have a good understanding of statistics, we just have to rely on the university reviewers to pick holes in these papers before they are published.

Having said that, I'd like to thank Icing Sugar for going to the trouble of producing a guide for the un-enlightened and I hope that the first post will be put up as a Sticky so that I won't have to search for this thread in future for guidance.

CVB

This is just a general comment about search engines.....I find that typing "pdf" after anything in a search bar will often give you much better results if you want to find information of a more technical nature.

This could be research papers, hive plans, instruction manuals, exploded diagrams, etc.

Latest posts

Back